We all know that learning English is important for living in the United States of America. However, finding ESL classes means so much more to those that need them. The differences from one country to the next can be vast. Each country has very specific laws, routines and customs. ESL classes fulfill a very important role in alerting immigrants to the specifics of American society. These concepts take much longer to become clear without guidance and instruction. ESL classes are a proactive measure to ensure that immigrants understand their rights and responsibilities.
Not everything is easy to figure out. Every country has different practices related to finding work.. Different countries and language backgrounds have different styles of written applications and interviews have different functions. In ESL classes students can learn what will be required of them when they apply for jobs in the U.S. Knowing the expectations of employers will ease the difficult task of finding employment.
Coping with native speakers can be a problem too. In ESL classes students have the opportunity to gain familiarity with native speaker speech and the strategies for coping with it. This will be crucial if immigrants are to integrate easily into society or the workplace. Both established and new residents will feel more comfortable and avoid misunderstandings and tension if there is good communication between them.
Probably the best effect is that ESL classes will ultimately assist immigrants’ ability to find work, to have an income to buy goods and services, to pay taxes and to live cohesively within the community. Without ESL classes this may not occur.
The reasons for taking ESL classes are many and varying, but some of the most important ones are listed below:
* ESL classes help all immigrants improve their English.
* ESL classes help immigrants to find work
* ESL classes help students cope with native speakers.
* ESL classes teach about the opportunities, rights and responsibilities of living in the U.S.
* ESL classes provide an environment to teach about racial tolerance and multiculturalism
* ESL classes contribute to the alleviation of poverty
* ESL classes contribute to the growth of the economy
* ESL classes contribute to the alleviation of unemployment
* ESL classes demonstrate human rights in action
* ESL classes demonstrate support for social cohesion
NYLLC programs allows non-native speakers the unique opportunity to master the English Language before following a traditional path of college study. We provide a dynamic learning environment in which a diverse population of students at various levels of competency come together to learn and grow. In bringing fresh, cutting-edge and original academic ideas to new generations of traditional and non-traditional learners, our program adheres to and transcends the mission and vision of NYLLC.