Despite any negativity you encounter, you can choose what you want to pay attention to and direct your energy toward things that make you happy. Here are some ways to feel happier now:
1. Turn off the news. Many of the news outlets would like us to know how bad things are getting, but really, things have always been chaotic in our world. Can you imagine the news from previous centuries in history? If you look at history books, most of it is not very pretty, so don't buy into the pessimism. Both wonderful and sad things happen everyday. It's good to be informed but also aware that things are okay.
2. Change your focus. The more we focus on things that are out or our control or bothering us, the worse we are going to feel. Sometimes, we simply cannot control our situation or circumstance, but we can control our focus. Try to find the good in people and the events of life. At any moment, there is something positive happening, but sometimes it takes effort to find it. Choose to focus only on those things that make you feel happier now.
3. Appreciate what you have. It's easy enough to get caught up in wanting things you don't yet have, but the key to getting the things you want in life is to be grateful for what you have now. A grateful attitude puts you in a vibration that will give you positive energy and bring more positive things your way. Think about those things you really appreciate, even if they are small and soon you will find yourself with bigger and better things that are causing you to be grateful.
4. Go with the flow. No one is happy and rosy 100% of the time. As soon as you can accept this fact, you'll stop fighting against it. Even if a person is happy on most days, this doesn't mean they never experience suffering. Going with the flow means accepting that there are good days and bad days. When it really comes down to it, everything is temporary -- both the highs and the lows.
5. Change Your Routine. Sometimes just doing one thing differently can make you feel happier now. When you make a small change in your routine, whether it's driving a new way to work, sitting in a different chair, or changing your morning routine, you will automatically have a changed attitude. You will probably notice things that come to your attention that you never paid attention to before. Everyone gets stuck in ruts sometimes and one of the greatest ways to get out is to change your view.
6. Practice Kindness. Spend some time consciously being kind and loving to other people, including strangers. While you might not get a big thank you or even be noticed, there will be those who appreciate it. The only one who benefits the most from kindness is you. As you turn outward and give your kind thoughts and gestures to others, you will automatically feel happier.
7. Get Perspective. One way to feel happier and more thankful is to volunteer or interact with those people who may be less fortunate than you. Even lending an ear to a friend can help you gain perspective and the realization that even those people who seem to have it all together are often struggling as much as anyone. Honest conversation with loved ones can greatly increase happiness and make you feel more at peace.
8. Love the One You're With. If a particular person or problem is causing you distress, instead of constantly making it get you down, instead embrace it. Show love to those you are close to, even if it is hard at time. Embrace your circumstances, even if they are not ideal. This may be easier said than done, but accepting what is around you can be powerful.
9. Go Outside. Do things that naturally improve your mindset, like going for a walk or engaging in exercise. Even just sitting in the sunlight can make you feel happier.
10. Visualize and Intend. Simply having the intention that you want to be happier can work wonders. So, decide you want more happiness on your plate and know that you can attain it.
Cheryl Hitchcock Author of "Give Your Head a Shake..and change your life for the better" is a Stress Management and Spiritual Coach with over 13 years of counselling and spiritual experience. Cheryl enables her clients to manage, as well as eliminate stress and related problems. She also conducts seminars and workshops that cater to Stress Management and Spirituality. For more information please visit www.integritycounsellingservices.com and receive her free ebook "How to Overcome Depression without Medication".