Our self-esteem is a measure of our self-worth or the value we attribute to ourselves as human beings worthy of attracting happiness, abundance, love, and fulfillment into our lives. It includes yet goes well beyond just our self-image to encompass every aspect that makes up our unique self-identity. Having strong self-esteem and self-confidence is a priceless asset. The better we feel about ourselves, the more effective our actions will be and the greater our ability to manifest the results we desire on a day to day basis. The quality of our self-esteem in any given situation impacts the simplest day to day activities and subconsciously influences our interactions with others as well as how we see ourselves in any social interaction. It can make us feel powerful and invincible or powerless and unworthy of attracting all the good things in life.
Our level of self-esteem or how we feel about ourselves is communicated to others by how we present ourselves and the value that we place upon ourselves as individuals. Having a strong level of confidence in our abilities is often associated with arrogance and superiority. However, when authentic self-esteem is based upon a strong self-identity that gives and expects to receive mutual respect, it is not arrogant or self-centered. Those possessing true self-esteem are cognizant of what it’s like in the other person’s world. Their focus is on mutuality and honoring others instead of serving the self at the expense of others.
Countless factors have a positive or negative impact on our self-esteem. These include the effectiveness of our relationships with others, how we relate in our work and social environments and how we see ourselves in each area of our life structure. These factors influence our behavior, our language, our actions and our results.
A person’s level of self-esteem can vary in different life areas and situations. A person who is happy, secure and confident at work may not feel the same in their social environment or vice versa. One’s self-esteem is affected by how successful one feels in each significant area of life including one’s health and appearance, occupation or business, wealth accumulation, social interactions with family, friends and others, personal and spiritual development, and areas of recreation, fun, and hobbies. Though this concept is subjective for many people, success may be related to feelings of well-being and fulfillment as a result of positive feelings about oneself that bolster self-esteem.
Our perception of our personal level of success is often also affected by making social comparisons with others either consciously or unconsciously. This may have either a positive or negative impact on our self-esteem. Our self-esteem level is the source of our personal power and must be constantly nurtured while aggressively managing negative self-talk. Self-honesty is an essential component to building self-esteem and personal confidence.
It is important to identify areas where your self-esteem may be lacking. Such regions are often not readily visible as we all too often learn how to protect ourselves from painful areas where we may feel inadequate. We might abandon our dreams and live in a dull state of resignation that insulates us from hurtful feelings of being incompetent, defective, or somehow unlovable.
In order to get an initial sense regarding the state of your self-esteem, Dr. Joe Rubino has developed a quick, fun and easy preliminary self-esteem test which can be found at: http://www.successfactor1.com/selfesteem/.
Most people will uncover at least some areas of their lives where their self-esteem can be improved. Here are 10 places to look as you begin the process:
1. Get organized. Clean out your computer, your desk, your closet and your house. File and store everything logically and become more organized and efficient. Throw away what you don’t need anymore. Eliminate the clutter that steals your attention and drains your energy!
2. Create an inspirational vision for your life. All actions begin with an idea. Craft your life’s plan to be compelling and to energize you into action!
3. List some goals on route to realizing your vision. Create an action plan and commit to an initial sequence of baby steps that align with what is needed to achieve them. List daily and weekly goals that are manageable. Take on the action steps one at a time that bring you closer to realizing your goals.
4. Stop procrastinating. Identify any missing elements that are preventing you from moving your situation in a forward direction. Tackle each stop methodically with the end in mind.
5. Track your results and hold yourself accountable to do the actions that align with your commitments. Reward yourself for any successes you achieve.
6. Commit to a regular program of exercise to support your physical health and development.
7. Love yourself. Give up your right to beat yourself up for any imperfections. Start to recognize the things you do well and acknowledge yourself for something positive daily.
8. Help others. Decide to incorporate the element of contribution in your day’s activities. Contribution helps take the focus off of yourself and your petty concerns.
9. Eliminate negative influences from your life! Decide to surround yourself with positive people, programming, and activities that energize, inspire, and uplift you.
10. Commit to adding balance to your life. Learn to integrate work and play when possible. Make time for your health and well-being, your relationships and family, your personal and spiritual development, your work or business, and don’t forget to have fun daily in some way! Treat your body with respect. Support your health and physical energy with healthy eating, enough sleep, and activities to stimulate your body and mind.
Pieter van der Gulik is the COO of The Self-Esteem System Program created by Dr. Joe Rubino.
Dr. Joe Rubino is an internationally acclaimed expert on the topic of self-esteem, a life-changing personal development trainer and success coach and best selling author of 9 books and 2 Audio sets on topics ranging from how to restore self-esteem, achieve business success, maximize joy and fulfillment in life and productivity in business. An acclaimed speaker and course leader, he is known for his groundbreaking work in personal and leadership development, building effective teams, enhancing listening and communication skills, life and business coaching and optimal life planning.
Dr. Joe offers powerful personal and group coaching to support business success and life fulfillment. To contact him, call 888-821-3135 or email DrJoe@CenterForPersonalReinvention.com. Learn more about his life-changing work in championing people to restore their self-esteem at http://www.SelfEsteemSystem.com and receive the free insightful audio program “7 Steps to Soaring Self-Esteem” and a 1 year subscription to “The Success Achievers’ Club”…a $129 Value!
His best selling books and audio programs are available in 19 languages and in 48 countries. His personal development titles include:
• The Self-Esteem Book: The Ultimate Guide to Boost the Most Underrated Ingredient for Success and Happiness in Life. Visit http://www.SelfEsteemSystem.com for more information.
• The Success Code: 29 Principles for Achieving Maximum Abundance, Success, Charisma, and Personal Power in Your Life
• The Success Code, Book II: More Authentic Power Principles for Creating Your Dream Life
• The Magic Lantern: A Fable about Leadership, Personal Excellence, and Empowerment
• The Legend of the Light-Bearers: A Fable about Personal Reinvention and Global Transformation
Dr Rubino is the CEO of The Center for Personal Reinvention, Http://www.CenterForPersonalReinvention.com, an organization committed to the personal excellence and empowerment of all people. He has impacted the lives of more than 1 million people through self-esteem work, personal and group coaching, and personal and leadership development. Dr. Rubino was featured on the cover of Success Magazine and in their cover story, “We Create Millionaires” for his ability to impact people’s lives. He is a certified success coach in life planning technology and the co-developer of the life-changing course, Conversations for Success, a program that provides participants with the tools to maximize their self-esteem, productivity and personal effectiveness with others. His vision is to personally impact the lives of twenty million people to be their best and to shift the paradigm around resignation - that is, that anyone can affect positive change in their own lives and in the lives of others - if they believe they can.