We sleep, but we don’t sleep enough. We eat, but not the right foods. We relax, but in front of the mind numbing television. We take great care of everyone else in our life, and we don’t take great care of ourselves. We allow ourselves to come dead last in the scheme of things.
What is wrong with this picture?
As parents and caregivers, it’s common to neglect self-care. We are so busy fussing and worrying about our children (or sometimes our parents), we forget about our own needs. It’s easy to think we’ll take care of ourselves later…time ticks away and before we know it we’ve allowed ourselves to be run down and grumpy. Or worse yet, we become seriously ill.
You know how the flight attendant encourages you, in case of emergency, to place the oxygen mask on yourself before your children? This makes great sense. How can you help others if you can’t help yourself? The same is true about every day care and feeding of your mind, body, and spirit.
Here are 10 self-care ideas to get you motivated:
1. Take a power nap. 20-30 minute power naps are proven to energize and recharge brain activity. They are not meant to replace regular sleep. A good power nap is meant to subsidize when your sleep was interrupted.
2. Meditate. Even 10 or 15 minutes of meditation will clear away the stress and anxiety in your life. Meditating liberates your creative spirit, and connects you to your higher power.
3. Take a 10-minute brisk walk. It’s amazing how much better you will feel!
4. Devote 30 minutes per day to personal development material. Fill your mind with positive thoughts – it chases away the negative!
5. Organize your days so that each day gives you space for quiet, reflective time.
6. Stay connected to friends – not the energy sucking kind – the nurturing kind. Let go of toxic relationships and embrace healthy ones.
7. Get organized – operating in chaos causes more stress. Take the time to develop a system, and use it. Things just work better.
8. Read something just for fun. Something that makes you laugh, or tugs at your heartstrings.
9. Listen to your favorite music every single day. Remember to include music in every part of your life – it is the perfect soundtrack for a well-lived life.
10. Feed your body a well balanced diet. Eliminate junk food. Your body carries you around, working hard for you. Honor it.
11. Instead of having numerous lists that never get completed, commit to creating a list of 6 things – only six. This teaches you to notice what is important in your life, and allows you to end each day feeling satisfied that you’ve accomplished what you set out to do.
12. Love yourself. Remember that you were created to be perfect in every way. At your core exists perfection. As humans, we tend to add layer upon layer of limited beliefs. Allow your perfect self to shine through.
13. Forgive. Forgive yourself. Forgive others. Surrender the ego thought that says you should or shouldn’t have done something. Or that someone else owes you something because of a past deed. Let it go…it’s healthier.
You were created with greatness inside of you. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in every single one of us. Honor this special part of you by nurturing it. The world needs you to be strong, vibrant and healthy – mentally and physically. You get to choose your daily actions. Love yourself enough to choose wisely.
Charrise McCrorey is a powerful facilitator of transformation. She transforms lives and businesses every day and makes it her business to do so in the most generous, respectful and extraordinary way. As one client put it: “Charrise is gifted, lovely, amazing, spirited, and giving”. And he isn’t alone! Clients all over the world are better off today for having known and worked with her.
Charrise is a sought-after transformational coach, speaker, trainer, facilitator and author. She powerfully and effectively helps her clients to expand to their fullest capabilities in their businesses and their lives.
She has racked up an incredible 28 years in the world of business, from receptionist for a construction company to General Sales Manager in the Advertising industry, serving in marketing, operations and various executive management roles in between.
She has learned first-hand the value of diversity in people and cultures, including how they think and operate differently inside numerous roles in business. She has learned the value of building sustainable relationships, spanning over several years. And most importantly, she learned the significance of being happy in her work.
She has learned what all people have in common. We all have a tendency to get in our own way when we most need to move forward. We hide from our own true power. We benefit by replacing our fear with love and action. This has brought her to create her ground-breaking coaching program: FULL OUT AND FEARLESS, where Charrise leads people out of the world of mediocrity and into the world of possibility. In the words of one FULL OUT AND FEARLESS client: “The program is like no other program I had been in. It was and still is all about me and what I want and how to get it. There is no script. No bullet point presentation. Full Out & Fearless has helped me evolve into a person of brutal honesty, dealing with only the truth.”
“My work as a business and personal coach exposes me to many people who are seeking a different kind of life” says Charrise. “During our transformational work together, we discover what stops them from having the kind of life they want. Each and every time, the answer relates back to some kind of fear… There is hope.”
Charrise has experienced corporate burnout first hand. It nearly killed her once when the stress of her career made her very ill. She learned the hard way how stress affects health, and how sneaky it can be. As a result, she lost her job. A few weeks later her husband was diagnosed with Melanoma. Strike one, two, and three...in a matter of about 6 weeks. Enough to cause anyone to drop full-time into fear.
Instead, these powerful experiences led Charrise to discover her gift and love for coaching. Her husband is now cancer free. And she is filled with gratitude for the experiences that have led her to her service as a coach.
She received her professional business coach certification through BusinessCoach.com, and has since served literally hundreds of people, and consistently facilitated in the transformation of businesses, families, relationships and lives.