Inner peace is not reserved only to yogis, hermits or monks, sitting alone in a far off place, praying or meditating all day long. It can also be attained by people living an ordinary life, who have a job, married and with children.
True inner peace, confers tranquility, inner harmony and inner balance, and is an inner condition, which is independent of external conditions and circumstances. It can be acquired through proper training, resulting in the ability to remain calm, undisturbed and unhurried in difficult and unpleasant situations.
When there is inner peace there are no anxieties and fears, no negative thoughts or negative expectations, no stress and no lack of satisfaction and happiness. It is a state of emotional and mental poise, happiness, confidence and inner strength.
Though almost everyone desires inner peace, albeit unconsciously, few realize its importance and benefits, and very few realize that it is a skill that can be learned and developed. You can stay where you are, without making external changes in your life, and yet attain inner peace. Some might go faster and others might progress at a slower pace. Some might reach high and others not so high, but any amount of inner peace and tranquility gained is a great achievement that can transform one's life.
There are many reasons why you need to gain at least some measure of inner peace. Here are 20 reasons to consider:
1. Inner peace improves your ability to concentrate.
2. It improves the ability to handle efficiently the daily affairs of life.
3. It increases your inner strength and power.
4. Inner peace eliminates impatience, anger, nervousness and restlessness.
5. Inner peace develops patience, tolerance and tact.
6. It makes you feel centered, grounded, and stable.
7. Being mentally and emotionally calm contributes to improved sleep.
8. You gain the ability to be emotionally and mentally unaffected by what people think or say about you.
9. It eliminates stress, anxieties and worries.
10. Inner peace brings inner happiness and bliss.
11. It increases self mastery and self discipline.
12. It relaxes the body and nerves.
13. The healing energies of the body work unhindered.
14. Being peaceful enables you not to be swayed by events, hardships and difficulties, and to maintain inner poise, clear judgement and common sense in such situations.
15. Inner peace eliminates negative, futile and restless thinking.
16. It improves your relationships with other people.
17. It makes life look brighter.
18. It increases creatvity.
19. It makes it easier to meditate.
20. It is the gateway to enlightenment and spiritual awakening.
True inner peace is important not only while things move smoothly, but especially in times of trouble, difficulties or danger. Then it counts most.
There are various ways to attain inner peace, such as psychological means, affirmations, visualization, yoga and meditation. A full program on this subject, which is written in a manner and language everyone can understand and follow, with instructions, advice and exercises, can be found in my book Peace of Mind in Daily Life.
Inner peace ultimately brings peace into your life, your affairs and your relationships, and to the world around you.
Remez Sasson teaches and writes on positive thinking, creative visualization, motivation, self-improvement, peace of mind, spiritual growth and meditation. He is the author of several books, among which are "Peace of mind in Daily Life", "Will Power and Self Discipline", "Visualize and Achieve" and "Affirmations - Words of Power".
Visit his website and find articles and books filled with inspiration, motivation and practical advice and guidance.