Have you ever considered offering an informational or instructional seminar to attract more clients or customers? If you have, what kept you from following through with it? If you haven't considered it, why not?
Here are five reasons why you should offer a workshop or seminar to promote your business.
1. To position yourself as an expert in your field - People like to work with experts. The news media consults with experts. How do most people earn that designation? Through education and experience, certainly.
But how do people become recognized as experts? Oftentimes it's through writing and speaking on their field of expertise.
When you lead a workshop or seminar, people automatically see you as an expert!
2. To learn more about your customers wants and needs – It’s easy to focus so much of your time on running your business that you forget why you're in business: to provide a product or service to your customers.
When you offer a instructional workshop or informational seminar you can find out what your customers really want or need. You can identify gaps in their understanding of your products or services. Then you can find ways to fill or close those gaps.
Seminars and workshops provide a low-cost, informal way to update your market research!
3. To increase awareness of your business - Workshops offered through adult education centers are typically listed in a catalog that is mailed to every home in the community. Current customers, potential clients, or media people will flip through the catalog, see your workshop description and instructor’s bio (a short blurb about you and your business) and gain a new or better awareness of how you can help them. They may not take your class, but they may suggest it to a friend or colleague.
Workshop descriptions and word-of-mouth referrals help you promote your business!
4. To develop informational products as another income stream - As you prepare for your seminars and workshops you’ll probably create handouts, worksheets, and resource lists that will help participants during the course. These items can be combined and retooled into booklets, books, and workbooks. You can record your presentation into audio or video format. These items will all help promote your business and produce additional income.
Informational products are always in demand by consumers who want to learn more in less time.
5. To keep your knowledge fresh and current - When you offer informational seminars or instructional workshops you'll always be on the lookout for the latest improvements or advances in your field. You’ll be aware of how current events impact your industry. You’ll be on the cutting edge; but you’ll also know when and why the old ways are the best ways.
Customers remain loyal when they believe you can provide them with all the options and then offer guidance on the best options!
These are five reasons to promote your business with seminars and workshops. As you can see, the benefits are tremendous. If you're looking for a way to reach more people, with less effort, and with better results, consider developing your own informational seminar or instructional workshop.
Donna Doyon helps independent professionals and small business owners develop informational seminars and instructional workshops to promote their businesses. Visit http://www.the-public-speaking-advantage.com to learn how you can turn your expertise into a valuable marketing tool and income source.