Professional and life success depend on consistent, proactive thinking. When emotions such as fear, anger or frustration occupy our thoughts we approach situations reactively. Rather than staying on our path, unconsciousness produces choices which lead us off our path and into chaos, at the extreme.
Fear might cause us to stray from our strategy, resulting in failure. Anger might cause us to make an unwise decision or sour an important relationship. And, frustration might tempt us to abandon a project just short of breakthrough.
If you feel stuck in an area of your life, personally or professionally, take a moment to rate your level of consciousness with this short quiz.
1. Answer the following questions by circling the number that best represents you. Be as honest with yourself as possible.
2. Add your numbers up and total them.
3. See scoring sheet at end of survey - don't peak until you've finished each question. If you do peak, subtract 5 points from your final score.
1. I get angry in traffic. Often 1 2 3 4 5 Never
2. When I see someone I want to know, I approach him or her without hesitation. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
3. I often worry myself to sleep. Often 1 2 3 4 5 Never
4. I stick to my exercise regimen. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
5. My diet is very diverse. I have favorites but I eat them in moderation. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
6. I am free of addictions such as coffee, cigarettes, sugar, chocolate and other drugs. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
7. I do not pass judgment or become upset until I have all of the facts. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
8. When I am late for work, it is due to a factor outside my control. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
9. I always keep my promises. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
10. Occasionally, I feel overwhelmed. Never 1 2 3 4 5 Often
If you're scoring at home*:
40-50 You show a high degree of consciousness and you are proactive. Life is good and you know it!
30-39 You are conscious and proactive more often than not. You are doing OK, but your life can be better.
20-29 Reactive thinking impacts your life and you are living under the influence of your emotions. You likely have greater potential than you are experiencing.
0-19 Reactive thinking heavily impacts your life and you are living under the influence of your emotions. You likely have much greater potential than you are experiencing.
If you find your score is less than you would like, John BarkerÂ¡Â¯s Free Your Mind is the course to teach you how to create higher levels of consciousness and proactive thinking.
*Scores are based on subjective criteria, so results are only suggestive.
? John R. Barker and Coaching Works, Inc. 2001 Please feel free to reprint or redistribute this article in its entirety, including proper credit and contact information.