A famous psychologist asserts that "fear is themost disintegrating enemy of human personality,"and a prominent physician declares that "worry isthe most subtle and destructive of all humandiseases." Another physician tells us thatthousands of people are ill because of "dammed-upanxiety." These sufferers have been unable toexpel their anxieties which have turned inward onthe personality, causing many forms of ill-health.The destructive quality of worry is indicated bythe fact that the word itself is derived from anold Anglo-Saxon word meaning "to choke." Ifsomeone were to put his fingers around your throatand press hard, cutting off the flow of vitalpower, it would be a dramatic demonstration ofwhat you do to yourself by long-held and habitualworry.
But do not be discouraged, you can overcome yourworries that hold you back. There is a remedy thatwill bring you sure relief. It can help you breakthe worry habit. And the first step to take inbreaking it is simply to believe that you can. Andhere, then, is a practical procedure which willhelp to eliminate excessive worry form yourexperience.
Practice emptying the mind daily. This should bedone preferably before going to bed at night toavoid the retention of worries while you sleep.During sleep, thoughts tend to sink more deeplyinto the subconscious The last five minutes beforegoing to sleep are especially important. In thatbrief period the mind is most receptive tosuggestion. It tends to absorb the last ideas thatyou are concentrating on in waking consciousness.
This process of mind drainage is important inovercoming worry, for fear thoughts, unlessdrained off, can clog the mind and pinch off theflow of mental and spiritual power.
Here's a ten-point worry-breaking formula designedto help you go to work.
NOW-break the worry habit!
1. Say to yourself, "Worry is just a very badmental habit. And I can change any habit."
2. You become a worrier by practicing worry. Youcan become free of worry by practicing theopposite and stronger habit of faith. With all thestrength and perseverance you can command, startpracticing faith.
3. How do you practice faith? First thing everymorning before you arise say out loud, "Ibelieve," three times.
4. Start a gratitude journal and log evidences oftimes when faith has paid off.
5. Watch your self-talk. Practice saying somethingpositive concerning everything about which you'vebeen talking negatively. Talk positively. Forexample, don't say, "This is going to be aterrible day." Instead, affirm, "This is going tobe a glorious day." Don't say, "I'll never be ableto do that." Instead, affirm, "I will do that."
6. Never participate in a worry conversation.Shoot an injection of faith into all yourconversations. A group of people talkingpessimistically can infect every person in thegroup with negativity. But by talking things uprather than down you can drive off that depressingatmosphere and make everyone feel hopeful andhappy.
7. One reason you are a worrier is that your mindis literally overcome with apprehensive thoughts,defeat thoughts, gloomy thoughts. Clear your mind.
8. Create friendships with hopeful people.Surround yourself with friends who think positive,faith-producing thoughts and who contribute to acreative atmosphere. This will keep you stimulatedwith positive attitudes.
9. See how many people you can help to cure theirworry habit. In helping another to overcome worryyou get greater power over it within yourself.
10. Every day of your life conceive of yourself asliving positively happy.
Build the foundation for success in anything youdo - employ the ten-point worry-breaking formulato your life daily.
Watch the magic begin.
Irene Brooks is President of 3-D Success Partners. A Business and Life Coaching firm that specializes in helping small businesses attract a constant flow of customers without wasting time or money on ineffective marketing techniques. You can contact Irene by calling 919-894-1732 visiting her website at http://www.3-DSuccessCoach.com