Cold sore home remedies? Look no further. Right now, in this article, you will discover some of the very best cold sore home remedies.
Cold sore home remedies, quite often, work better than commercial treatments purchased at the store. Thousands of everyday people, just like you and I, have proven this to be true. And, not only are they powerful treatments, cold sore home remedies are usually quick and easy.
With the advent of the internet, many home remedies for cold sores have surfaced. These are treatments that we would not otherwise know about - from all parts of the world. Some have proven very easy. Others may not give proper results unless used in a specific way.
Now, let us take a look at a few of the most effective cold sore home remedies known today. These are remedies that have proven themselves time and again. And you will learn a few tricks for getting the highest success from them.
Quite likely you already know about one or more of these remedies. But now you will gain some new ones that you can use for even a higher level of success. The truth is - many folks use several remedies, depending on their personal needs and the current stage of their sore.
- LYSINE - The herpes virus that causes cold sores reproduces by using arginine stored in the cells. Lysine replaces arginine and makes herpes reproduction impossible. During an outbreak, sufferers can take up to 8000 mg. daily of supplemental lysine. Between cold sores, as a preventative, 500 to 1000 mg. daily is common.
- FLOUNDER - Many have reported eating one pound of steamed flounder in a single day and totally wiping out their cold sores. The key here - flounder is extremely high in lysine. Flounder has about 14,000 mg. (14 grams) of body-ready lysine per pound.
- TEA - warm, wet tea bags for fast healing once the sore has opened up. Any tea will work well but lemon balm or red raspberries have been reported as particularly powerful. Not only does the warmth encourage healing, but also the tea liquid is a strong healing remedy.
- CLEAR NAIL POLISH - You can apply to the area before the outbreak - when it first starts itching - to stop a cold sore in its tracks. The polish will peal off naturally in a day or two.
- ACIDOPHILUS BACTERIA - The bacteria that creates yogurt is also a very good fighter of cold sores. Commercial yogurt is pasteurized to kill all the bacteria. You need to buy active acidophilus in capsules. Take the capsules orally with milk. Also you can open the capsules, make a paste using milk or yogurt, and put directly on the sore.
- ALCOHOL - A great universal antiseptic for keeping the area as sterile as possible. It also helps prevent secondary bacterial infections. Use a cotton ball or swab to protect your fingers from contamination and spreading the sore. Throw-away alcohol pads are available and very handy for work or travel.
- CAMPHOR - Topically applying camphor with a cotton ball or tissue often reduces symptoms and can give immediate relief. A good source for camphor is a product called Campho-Phenique. It contains a numbing agent that helps reduce pain too.
- GARLIC OIL - Garlic is considered one of the most powerful universal healers known. It has been reputed to cure any viral, bacterial or fungal disease. Best results will be seen with both internal and external combined treatment. Gel-caps can be cut open for topical use.
These are but a small sampling of the many amazing cold sore home remedies. They may seem simple, but they are very powerful - often beating commercial treatments.
You are an individual and, as such, may find that not every remedy works for you. For best success, it is wise to combine several remedies. In this way, you will quickly create your own best-performing cold sore home remedies.