If you need to find trusted information to plan your vacations in the southern Italy, then read this quick guide to give you all the best Sicily travel essentials.
A tour around Sicily offers you different types of experiences and emotions: beaches, volcanoes, natural parks and a trip across its millenary history made by ancient Romans and Greeks.
Where is Sicily?
Sicily is the biggest island in the Mediterranean sea, at the south of Italy.
How to arrive in Sicily?
There 3 possible way to arrive in Sicily: By plane, there are 2 main airports in the cities of Catania and Palermo; By Boat through the strait of Messina; By train, using the trains that starts from Rome, Milan and Naples (Eurostar)
How can i get around the island?
You can get around by train, that connect the main cities (Messina, Palermo, Catania, Syracuse); By car, using the freeways, A18 Catania-Messina, A19 Catania-Palermo, A20 Messina-Palermo; By bus, the have departure centers in the main airports and the railways stations
What are the best tourist attractions?
The best tourist attractions are:
* Agrigento, on the southwest coast, with its Greek temples
* Cefalu, seaside town at the east of Palermo
* Enna, 1000 meters high city...the highest of Europe
* Erice, a little medieval town
* Etna, the tallest active volcano in Europe
* Marsala, the heart of wine-production
* Palermo, the capital of Sicily
* Segesta with some excellent Greek ruins.
* Syracuse, on the southeast coast, with its Greek theatre.
* Taormina, with a beautiful Roman-Greek theatre
* The Alcantara Gorges, a natural park in a volcanic river
* The Nebrodi Park, a natural reserve full of forests
* The Aeolian islands, 7 little island of Volcanic origin
* Catania, a mix of historical evidences, churches and museums
What are the best beaches?
* Mondello Lido (Mondello), near Palermo
* Mortelle, the best sands in northeast Sicily, near Messina
* Spiaggia Sabbie Nere (Vulcano), a "Black Sands Beach" in the Aeolian islands
* Lido Mazzarò (Taormina), the best summer resort of Sicily
* Giardini Naxos beach, near Taormina
* Marina di Ragusa, on the southeasters Sicily
What are the best fun things to do?
You can practice different activities like Trekking, Wine tours, Bicycle trips, Sight-seeing, Winter sports on the Etna mountain, horseback ridings, scuba diving and much more...It depends on your budget and the period you choose. i.e. in the summer months the best things to do are swimming the in the waters of the coast; in the autumn months the best activities are trekking on the Sicilian natural parks and in the winter the queen is Mount Etna where practice Skiing, alpine skiing and much more...
How to find and choose the best accommodations?
There are different kind of lodging sicily services to choose, it depends on your budget, the period and the activity you want to practice. You can choose between a great selection of like Hotels, Bed and Breakfast, Camping, Farm, Villas, Apartments and Resorts. The best ones are situated in the cities of Catania, Palermo and Taormina
Enrico Forte is an independent travel guide about the South of Italy. He is the owner of the website Volcano Etna, Accommodation and lodging Sicily, the leading Sicilian travel service information provider for tours and daily excursion on the Etna mount.