So you are now at the chapter four of your dissertation project that is Dissertation methodology and you are stuck. Ok, let’s see what Dissertation methodology actually is…
Every dissertation project includes a chapter which contains necessary information about the subject of this work – this chapter is called dissertation methodology. A dissertation's methodology may consist of four parts:
3. Procedures and
4. Data analysis
In general, Dissertation Methodology refers to the use and selection of particular strategies and tools for data gathering and analysis. Some methodologies hold both data gathering and analysis, such as content analysis, ethnography and semiotic analysis. Others apply to a single section i.e. either to gathering or analyzing data. Dissertation methodology support the each statement in your dissertation paper by referring to the original work or by published scientific literature.
The section on methodology should include a justification for the choice of methodology for data gathering and data analysis. In that you should consider what alternative methodological tools and strategies might have been employed, their advantages and limitations for the present purpose. Your choice of methodologies should be related to the theoretical framework outlined earlier.
Dissertation methodology is based on your research question as well as on the goals you set to attain. Your description of methodology has to be clear and understandable just as the research question. You should consider that some readers of your dissertation will not be pro in your field of study, and you have to make them able to grasp the idea of your dissertation project.
Generally Dissertation Methodology section includes experiments, observations, interview, surveys and analysis. Incase the topic you are writing about is new, the method will be exploratory then. When writing dissertation Methodology section, its better to consider the following important points
What exactly is your way to conduct research?
How did you choose it?
Why did you choose that specific dissertation method?
From whom and how you get help during your research?
Here is a step by step guide to complete your dissertation methodology chapter.
• Try to create a plan or an overview according to which you write your dissertation methodology – it is better to know what your next step should be in order to not miss an important issue or point. This is about your Dissertation - even some minor mistakes can influence the overall impression of your work.
• Patience and concentration is what you need there most – if you do hurry and try to make this part of your dissertation quickly, you put yourself under the threat of making many mistakes which results in spoil your grade.
• Plan your time – assign yourself a time period in which you should be able to check your work and correct mistakes. Also check the correctness of the presented information.
• Conduct a thorough research, which you will present in your dissertation methodology.
• Gather literature sources, which will contain the information for your dissertation methodology.
• Analyze your practical achievements and the theoretical issues – write there results in the dissertation methodology.
• It’s good to be logical in your dissertation methodology – you may divide this chapter into logically connected sub-chapters or paragraphs.
Following the above specified path, you will not only able to accomplish your dissertation methodology on time but also error free.
Lori Blake is a professional Educational Consultant and helping the students to accomplish their educational projects since many years. She got a vast experience in her field and is ready to help students with her skills and knowledge.