Holding resentments against others is like swallowing poison and expecting the other person to get sick. We are only hurting ourselves. Often we hold resentments because we don't think the other person "deserves" to be forgiven. We seem to have the mistaken belief that somehow by holding the resentment we are hurting them, when in fact we are only hurting ourselves. Forgiveness does not mean we condone the other person's behavior, it just means we are releasing ourselves from the bondage that keeps us tied to them.
On the other side of the coin is guilt. While we do need to own up to our mistakes, there is a difference between regret and holding on to guilty feelings which block us from moving forward in life. To hold on to guilt forces us into a position where we are not able to respond to life and to be helpful to others because we are not living life purposefully. To become fully engaged in life and respond to others in a healthy manner, we need to let go of any negative emotion, like guilt or anger.
* I now live in the sunlight of the spirit.
* I completely release the past and live in the now.
* I move forward by letting go of the past.
* I choose to forgive myself and others.
* I have a new freedom and a new happiness.
* By forgiving myself and others I am set free.
* By releasing the past, I allow myself to move onward and upward.
* Forgiveness has given me back my freedom.
* I am willing to release the past, let go and move forward one day at a time.
* I allow only good memories to inhabit the present.
* I live joyfully in the here and the now.
* I am now beyond my past.
* I am now free to move forward in my life.
* I now liberate my past from my mind, body and affairs. I am free.
* I am willing to let go of my past and take the next right steps in front of me.
* I choose to forgive all others in my life, and they forgive me.
* I easily forgive others and I am easily forgiven.
* I am at peace with my past.
* I choose to release the past now.
* Forgiving others makes me feel incredibly free.
* I forgive and communicate Love, easily and effortlessly now.
* God Loves me and forgives me.
* I am grateful to God for my ability to easily forgive.
* I have a compassionate forgiving nature.
* I am now releasing all doubts and fears.
* I am exactly where I am supposed to be right here, right now.
* And so it is!
Written by Gwen Phillips. See my bio on the expert page. Go to http://www.newperspectivetoday.com for a free affirmation course and for a mediation on releasing resentments and guilt.