Indian Head Massage, also known as Champissage, has been practiced in India for over 1,000 years. It is a form of relaxation massage that focuses on the head, neck, face, shoulders and upper arms, which are important energy centers in the body where tension can accumulate, resulting in headaches as well as neck, shoulder and back problems. This form of massage combines physical massage with a more subtle form of energy work. This affects the recipient in a more profound and holistic way, bringing the energy of the whole body back into balance creating a deep sense of peace, calm and well-being.
By concentrating on the areas most vulnerable to stress and tension, Indian Head Massage will help the body to release stress, relieve tension and encourage the flow of the blood which will re-energize every part of the body. The results are felt on a mental, physical and spiritual level.
Some benefits of Indian Head Massage are:
1. General relaxation
2. Improved blood circulation increases oxygen supply to the brain and drains away accumulated toxins
3. Calms, revitalizes and uplifts the spirit
4. Relaxes tight and painful muscles, eases stiffness, and breaks down knots in muscles
5. Helps to loosen the scalp
6. Relief of TMJ tension and pain
7. Increased joint mobility
8. Improved lymphatic drainage which helps in the removal of waste products and toxins
9. Can give your hair a healthy lustrous shine and improve skin condition
10. Encourages deeper breathing and deep relaxation; very enjoyable and triggers the release of “feel good” chemicals called endorphins creating an almost euphoric sensation
11. Promotion of hair growth
12. Helps to dissipate mental, tiredness, stress, depression resulting in greater mental
Alertness,, concentration, and clearer thinking
13. Can also help relieve the following conditions: Eyestrain, tension headaches, migraines, earaches, Tinnitus (ringing in the ears), jaw ache, Sinusitis congestion, insomnia, and disturbed sleep.
Some Advantages of an IHM treatment are:
No need for your client to disrobe
Treatment done in a seated position
Cost effective – a half hour treatment can cost as little as $30.00
Suitable for all ages and also for pregnant women
Can be done anywhere at anytime
Minimal equipment needed - just a fold out chair
Contra-Indications to Indian Head Massage:
The following conditions cannot be treated unless otherwise stated:
1. Any recent head or neck injury, including whiplash and concussion.
2. Severe bruising in the areas to be treated.
4. Recent hemorrhage.
5. High or low blood pressure unless under control with medication.
6. Migraine provided they are not having a migraine at the time of treatment.. Clients should be aware that treatment may result in an attack.
7. A history of thrombosis or embolism.
8. Diabetes unless under control.
9. Infectious skin disorders such as Impetigo, Herpes simplex and Herpes zoster.
10. Head Lice
11. Scalp infections such as weeping eczema.
12. Cuts and abrasions in the treatment areas.
13. Recent operation.
14. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
15. High temperature, illness and fever.
16. Any infectious disease.
18. Aneurosa, the localized dilation of the blood vessels, usually in the temple or forehead area in the elderly.
19. Food poisoning
20. Cancer or any other serious medical condition while undergoing treatment
Special conditions where caution is required, only light and soothing techniques are used.
Osteoporosis, frailty, Spondelosis in the neck (this is a form of arthritis in the neck), painful cysts, Psoriasis.
Indian Head Massage is a relatively new therapy in Canada and the U.S.A. though it is hugely popular in the UK and in India. If you are interested in some course information for Indian Head Massage please visit us at www.indianheadmassagecanada.com email@example.com or Debbie at 905-714-0298
Debbie Boehlen did her original Indian Head Massage Training in 2002. In 2003 she did her teacher training and has been teaching Indian Head Massage since that time. Debbie travels throughout Canada to teach this modality as well as Rejuvenating Face Massage, Axiatonal Alignment, Usui Reiki, Karuna Reiki® and other Healing Energy Systems.
Debbie began her journey toward better health in 1992 and has continued learning new methods and techniques to improve her health and well being, and that of others, on all levels: mental, spiritual, physical and emotional. The courses and therapies Debbie offers all contribute toward natural health, relaxation and a more balanced state of being.