People block you from their bosses and others for a whole host of reasons. For example they feel they will lose their power over you; they donât like what you have and know that if you get past them their boss might buy what you have and they will be stuck with you; admins are told not to let sales people get past them and fear the repercussions from the boss; etc. However, every block youâve ever encountered was based on fear of losing something â power, ego, job, recognition, authority, etc. Gatekeepers donât see a win in it for themselves; otherwise they would let you pass. They either see a risk and/or see nothing in it for them to let you through. Therefore, youâre blocked.
Youâre blocked. Youâre frustrated. You try to be polite. Yet, you donât ask for the reason s/he is not letting you meet others. You stop trying and are stuck with this gatekeeper.
So here is what you can do to handle this common situation or prevent it.
1. Always assume youâll be blocked. If you know this is going to happen, you can prepare what to say and what to do, if or when it happens.
2. Set you attitude for meeting the top people. Say to yourself, âI must get to the C-levels or profit-center leader â sooner or later.â Your attitude must be that even though youâll be blocked, you will always meet with all the powerful Decision Makers in-spite of the upcoming blocks. This will give you the incentive to refuse being blocked. Think of yourself as a pass rusher in football. Youâve got to get to the quarterback before he tosses your sale to a competitor.
3. Assume your boss is going grill you on getting to the ultimate, high level decision maker. (Probably a good assumption.) When you say, âNoâ and s/he says, âThen, what are you going to do about it?â What would you say or do? Once you figure out what youâd say or do, go do it.
4. Eliminate blocks before they happen
a. Win the person over before you try to get him to introduce you upwards.
b. Let everyone you meet know you will have to speak with others involved before you can submit a proposal and pricing.
c. Rehearse what youâll say if and when the person blocks you.
d. Make sure you find others ports of entry initially. Use your Golden Network for introductions. Then, if one person blocks you, you can ask someone else to introduce you up and out.
5. Donât block yourself. Unless someone says, âYou will go no further,â continue to proceed up and out with your interviews. Donât assume someone will get upset. If you do, youâre blocking yourself. Let him or her tell you, âDo not go past me.â If someone does get upset, apologize. It will not ruin your chances forever.
6. When a hard block is issued, itâs because the person hasnât bought into you or what youâre offering yet. You are perceived as a possible loss to her. What if her boss likes your solution and she doesnât. Worse, what if she likes what you have, but thinks her boss wonât like your solution? Ask what her concern, issue or loss is. Then, ask what she recommends you do.
Takân It to the Streets
1. For your next sales pursuit or lead, what will you say to your first contact before youâre finished to indicate that you will also have to meet the other decision makers?
âI know your buy-in is critical, but I will need to speak with others involved before I can go further with pricing, etc.â
2. What will you say when the person clearly states you are not to go further?
âIt seems you are concerned with me speaking with others. Please explain your concerns.â After they tell you, ask, âWhat do you suggest I do to alleviate these concerns?â
Bonus Tip: Recession Proof Selling Use my best selling book TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER$ and 2 CD Seminar to learn how to handle tough selling situations and difficult closing problems related to selling C-Levels and other Top Decision Makers. Learn to develop relationships with these leaders and leverage their power for referrals, more and more sales, and cross-selling.
Sam Manfer is the leading expert on selling to CEOâs and other influential people â doctors, govât officials, etc. Sam is a sales strategist, entertaining key note speaker and author of TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER$, The Complete Guide to C-Level Selling. That is, getting to and influencing top level decision-makers. Sam makes it easy for any sales person to generate quality leads, and become a 70% closer. Grab your FREE E-Books, Videos, Articles and other Advanced Sales Training Tips at www.sammanfer.com
Bonus Tip: FREE E-book âGetting Past Gatekeepers and Handling Blockersâ