Christian spiritual healing is vital in all aspects of life, including your physical health. Can you imagine how great you would feel if you had never made bad choices? What if you had never experienced grief or had never been abused?
Imagine having no guilt to carry. Guilt (caused by the things we've done and the things others have done to us) is a debilitating disease and, in many cases, the very cause for depression, anxiety and various physical illnesses.
Emotional wounds, whether caused by your actions or those of others, leave dents or footholds in your spirit that cause you to carry guilt and pain, which causes you act out in certain ways. That is a crushed spirit.
(Prov 18:14 A man's spirit sustains him in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear? NIV)
Many times, these spiritual dents and wounds are caused by someone else's words. What we were told about ourselves as children is vital to our spiritual health as adults. This is why Christian spiritual healing deals first with cleansing the mind.
Christian Spiritual Healing = Retrain the Brain!
(Prov 18:15 The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out. NIV)
We need to acquire wisdom and knowledge from the Holy Spirit to replace the false knowledge we have been given through childhood tragedies and abuse, emotional disasters, bad choices, mistakes and life in general.
(Ps 107:20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. KJV) Notice it says "their" destructions!
How does it work? Again, Christian spiritual healing involves the renewing of the mind. There are some key steps that have to be taken in order to be healed:
1. Accept the fact that you are forgiven. (1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. KJV)
2. Forget the Past. This one is difficult, but required for Christian Spiritual Healing. (Phil 3:13-14 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. NIV)
3. Receive God's Favor (Grace)(Eph 1:6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. NIV)
4. Pray along these lines: Create in me a pure heart, O God,and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. NIV
5. Renew your mind Daily by reading and meditating on God's words. (Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will. NIV)
It sounds like a list of things to do, right? Well, it is. Receive, receive, and receive some more. Some receiving does require reading and listening, but receiving IS the key. Christian spiritual healing is that simple.
Denise Mistich is the author and owner of http://www.spiritual-health-source.com and The Life Cycle, a Bible study guide which leads the reader into healing from depression and anxiety.