Many small businesses are taking the opportunity to go green for a variety of reasons including social responsibility and the approval of customers. There is also the potential for company-wide green initiatives to cut costs and improve the bottom line. Prior to deciding on what types of actions are to be taken, there are steps that management should take to optimize the initiative. They are:
Once the initiative has been introduced, it is advisable to start with simpler tasks and activities to get everyone in the company on the same page. Go with actions that are easy to incorporate and follow. Here are ten actions that any company can undertake while wading into its go green initiative:
1) Start a recycling program where cans, bottles, and paper are disposed of in separate containers.
2) Go as paperless as possible. Do in-house presentations on power point instead of printing out meeting materials. File and save documents electronically.
3) Reduce marketing collateral to only the necessities. This action alone can save a lot of money over the long term.
4) Commit to buying energy star certified products.
5) Anthony Ricigliano Reduce Energy consumption by programming computers and other equipment to go on standby after a period of sitting idle.
6) Turn off computers at the end of the work day. One caveat, if older computer screens are in use which have never been turned off, the cooling down process can harm them. Leave them on until they can be replaced.
7) Switch out incandescent bulbs for fluorescent ones.
8) Incentivize employees who carpool, ride a bike, or walk to work.
9) Eliminate plastic and Styrofoam cups.
10) Use the front and back when printing or copying.
Starting with these activities will help to build the foundation for bigger green initiatives down the line. Get everybody on board and these actions will get you on the way to being a green business, much to the delight of your employees and customers.