Many men and women suffer from hair loss in San Diego, confused and upset that they are losing such an integral part of their style and appearance and, unfortunately, his or her self-esteem. It is important to understand hair loss in San Diego if one is to address the problem effectively.
There are more than 35 million men experiencing hair loss in the United States, and over 21 million women suffering from the same issue in the U.S. as well; that means that almost 20% of the people living in the United States are experiencing some form of hair loss. These numbers are no doubt lower than the actual number as many of those suffering from hair loss are ashamed and do not want to admit that it is something they struggle with.
These are some of the typical causes of hair loss in men and women with tips, when available, regarding what you might be able to do about it:
1. Genetics - It is common for those suffering from hair loss to have inherited a genetic condition from his or her biological family members (birth parents or grandparents). About 95% of men and 70% of women can attribute their loss of hair to androgenic alopecia, a condition which affects the growth cycle of hair, resulting in the miniaturization of hair follicles. Though recent research suggests that elevated levels of an enzyme known as prostaglandin D2 synthase may cause there is no definitive research to suggest precisely what causes this condition or how to treat it.
2. Hormonal Factors - A decrease in estrogen or testosterone can result in men and women losing hair as can other hormonal imbalances. Hormone boosters have been shown to have a positive effect on these imbalances.
3. Age – A fact of life is that as we age we are more susceptible to hair loss. The risk of having noticeable hair loss is directly correlated to age; by age 20, 20% of people have some visible hair loss; by the age of 50 about 50% of men and women have noticeable signs of hair loss.
4. Illness – Conditions such as a thyroid imbalance, lupus, infections including fungal or scalp infections, or even diabetes can result in hair loss. Occasionally for a few months after child-birth, women can experience sudden and dramatic hair loss, which may be perceived as an illness but is actually a hormonal imbalance and, in most cases, the hair loss is temporary.
5. Medications - Medications that treat conditions such as mood disorders, high blood pressure, heart conditions, diabetes, or arthritis commonly experience hair loss as a side effect. In some cases during temporary use the loss of hair may be a temporary condition and the regrowth of hair may occur soon after the medication regimen is stopped. It is advisable to discuss with a medical professional any side effects that may be caused by medications and seek medication that does not have this side effect, if any exist. In the case of mood stabilizers, for example, most of the medications used to treat this disorder include the side effect of hair loss.
Important Note: Recent research and studies have found that taking the medication known as Propecia for hair loss can cause significant and long-lasting sexual dysfunction in men. Before taking this medication for hair loss, make sure that you are well aware of the potential side effects this medication can cause.
6. Stress - Whether caused by a physical stressor (weight loss, illness) or a result of some emotional stressor (death, divorce, loss), stress has been shown to cause hair loss and finding a healthy way to deal with that stress will help to reduce the impact of the hair loss.
7. Nutrition - Eating a balanced diet can make a world of difference. A diet that is low in iron, biotin, zinc, and B vitamins can lead to hair loss. Eating foods that are rich in iron, biotin, zinc, and B vitamins or taking a daily vitamin or supplements that are high in these minerals can increase hair health and decrease the likelihood of hair loss.
There is much more that can be learned about hair loss in San Diego and a helpful resource regarding hair loss can be found at http://www.razhair.com/about-hair-loss/
Amnon Zakay is a hair loss and hair restoration specialist in San Diego. As the owner and operator of Raz International, a provider of natural hair restoration in San Diego, Amnon has over 30 years of experience aiding and informing those suffering from hair loss.