Are you one of the millions who have a ‘saggy belly’ or what is referred to as ‘love handles’? Do you long for that flat stomach that you had when you were younger?
I bet you do, yet there is a slight problem in that you don’t want to put the work in to get it and keep it! Yes, it can be done irrespective of age or the fact you have had children.
The stomach or abdominal muscles are a group of 6 muscles that extend from various places on the ribs to various places on the pelvis which provide movement and support to the trunk (often called the core.) They actually assist in the breathing process and are rather special. For information purposes the names of these muscles are below.
Stomach muscles are special because they provide postural support as well as playing a role defining the form (with strength exercise) All six of these muscles affect body posture. The muscle located close to the spine for instance will have a powerful effect and greater capacity in creating and maintaining a healthy spine
1. Transverse (a breathing muscle) provides stability to the tuck and the organs.
2. Linea Alba tends to lose its strength during pregnancy ( but not after if you do external and internal exercises)
3. Internal oblique(effect posture) a pair of muscles located either side of the torso
4. External Oblique also located either side of the torso, these are superficial
5. The rectus abdominus are the most superficial also affecting body posture( these muscles are responsible for the six pack)
6. The Abs and breathing, these abdominals participate in the breathing process, particularly during exhaling, helping force the air out of the lungs by depressing the thorax.
Knowledge is power I’ve always thought, but now you have this knowledge what are you going to do about it?
Tightening the stomach muscles goes beyond our looking good; it also affects our ability to heal together with well being.
However much you pretend having a ‘saggy belly’ is okay it isn’t! (and I bet you wouldn’t admit to it) but you begin to lose confidence, whereas if your stomach is flatter your confidence soars and your posture is very much improved making you walk tall.
Good posture allows for better spinal alignment and this is what makes the body heal itself a lot easier.
Never, never listen to those who tell you to concentrate on tightening the stomach muscle as an individual and total regime because it’s total nonsense. The body must be worked “TOTAL”
Physical exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains overall health and wellbeing.
Exercise should be carried out at least 5 days out of 7 and the duration should be at least 30 minutes.
There are no excuses, stop being idle and get the body out of that sedentary position. Remember our bodies were not constructed for sedentary lifestyle, which is why obesity and illness abound.
Nina Bagnall is the author of Looking Good Feeling Great Ladies 50 and over, also writes ebooks and audios for health and wellbeing. Knowledgeable in Natures Cures- Why not get your ‘FREE” consultation now? Her website "Life is a Journey" was created to help, encourage, persuade and enlighten all who visit.
Born and raised in Staffordshire, England. Nina was educated at a private convent school. She is married with two daughters.