A custom tattoo design contest is one way to have the perfect opportunity to display your skills and talent as a tattoo designer. Gaining recognition on a global scale is what any artist in the tattoo world wants, since having a good reputation means more work and more income. If you are a tattoo artist and want to get ahead of the pack, here are five easy steps to gain the lead in these online challenges.
1. Be creative and passionate in your work. If you are entering one of these contests, do not focus on the prize money. Get inspired and creative. A tattoo enthusiast or hobbyist will know if a design is flat and unexceptional. Always remember, a tattoo is first and foremost an artwork, and if you love what you do, the passion will show in your artwork.
2. Remember, the prize is fixed. In joining this contest, it means you are accepting the amount posted on the site. You do not ask for extra money or a tip. The minimum prize money is set to $35 which may go up to $500 depending on the design. Choose a custom tattoo contest that will bring you the greatest benefit.
3. Be a well-rounded artist. Although most tattoo artists have their own style and expertise, it would not hurt to be versatile. One way to grow as an artist is to learn and gain knowledge on different styles and themes. In this way, you could expand your target clientele. Be sure that you participate in training programs and seminars with other tattoo designers. Being a well-rounded artist means you could go places.
4. Be flexible and open. Feedback is required in this contest. Like any great artist you must be open to constructive criticism. A good artist knows how to communicate well with his client; in this way, you will know what he or she really wants. You also must be open to suggestions and modifications. One way of improving your work is by listening to constructive criticism. After all, nobody is perfect in this world.
5. Keep in touch. If you do win the contest, it is not a guarantee that a client will contact you in the future. Take your time to reach out and do follow ups. Your client might hold another, or with luck, get you to design another tattoo for him or her. What is more, that person might give you a good reference and recommend you to others. Remember word of mouth is a must in the tattoo world.
As a tattoo artist, it is your responsibility to provide quality work for your client. Whether you win the contest or not, giving your best in every design you create is important. After all, they provide the canvas for your tattoo artwork.
Once you establish your name, do not let fame go to your head. Art is constantly changing, so do not rest on your laurels. Sooner or later, there could be another artist that will match, or even be better than you, so it is a constant learning process. Good luck!
Kristen Dunn is a tattoo enthusiast and professional tattoo designer who has created thousands of thought provoking, elegant, and funky tattoos for her clients. She has a vast collection of custom designs to her credit. Winner of several awards and accolades, Kristen is now a founding member of the world's largest custom tattoo design community at CreateMyTattoo. View her tattoo collection or read more on her blog here.