Has your foot been on the brake? If so, it's time to take your foot off the brake and get back behind the wheel of your life. Proclaim, “I will not stop my journey too soon. It’s time to get out and overcome every obstacle in my way!”
Here are eight steps that you can take:
1. Imagine yourself at your absolute best…the ideal you. Act the part of the successful person you have decided to be. Envision yourself doing what you need to do to reach your goal. Are you attending a class, working out and getting stronger, or taking a public speaking class? See yourself smiling, strong, and enjoying your outcome. See this happening every day and watch how fast life can change. Be mindful not to go back to all of the old patterns that didn’t work.
2. It’s NEVER too late to start over no matter what happened to you. Your new life starts today! Remember the old saying, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always had.” What holds you back? Do you need to start saying “no” if you are over committed trying to make everyone else happy? You know what you need! So rehearse your new role in life, before your head hits the pillow.
3. Move on now…not tomorrow! Look at each mistake only as a life lesson that shows you what to do differently next time. That includes forgiving yourself for your mistakes. Today is your new beginning, not when you lose weight and get into shape, or finally can afford the newer car or house, or get married, or have a better job.
4. Accept yourself as a beautiful creation that deserves self-respect…Always! On those days when you may not like yourself, look beyond your mirror and remember that you are made in God’s image. That is the most powerful and beautiful image there is! Ask God to show you how you look through His eyes. Every morning offers us a chance to begin again…and again, and again. Build yourself up by speaking respectfully to, and about, yourself.
5. Examine your relationships. Destructive relationships destroy self-esteem. Constant negative feedback wears you down. Change can be frightening but very rewarding. Work on new friendships. They can change your life!
6. Become aware of what tapes are playing in your mind. Listen to your self-talk. We are what and who we think we are, whether that means a success, a failure, or a dynamic person who can move mountains. Stop and listen to your internal tapes and keep ejecting the negative ones. Pop those positive CD’s back in every time a negative thought creeps into your mind. It may take a lot of effort at first, however, watch your smile increase, your posture become more erect and see your relationships become even better!
7. Learn from your mistakes. I have had much pain and trauma in my life, and finally realized that those terrible mistakes gave me valuable lessons in wisdom. They have kept me sensitive and compassionate and steered me in a healthier, more productive direction. Keep growing into your beautiful, confident self. All that you need is already within you!
8. Be aware of the signals you are sending out! Your appearance reveals so much about your self-Image and self-confidence. Ensure that your appearance, wardrobe and grooming are exhibiting the kind of impression that you want to give to others. You appear more responsible and organized if you appear all “pulled together.” If others see that you take pride in your appearance, they are more likely to assume that you take pride in “your” work and “their” business as well. As you continue to enhance your professional presence, your confidence will continue to grow!
Get your foot off of that brake!! Remove your rear-view mirror and run your race!
Rita Rocker is a national inspirational and educational speaker, international author and blogger, communications and image specialist, and career coach with Transformation Academy, LLC. She is the author of A Guide to Marketing Yourself for Success, and a contributing author to The Unstoppable Woman's Guide to Emotional Well Being(from Self-conscious to Self-confident), and Total Leadership for Men and Women. She has appeared on national television and radio talk shows on self-esteem and communication. Rita is a former Mrs. Nebraska and Mrs. America contestant. She is President of the Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa chapter of Speakers, Publishers & Authors Association. Rita provides life and career-transforming programs to mature teens and adults. These highly effective tools empower individuals to become more accomplished communicators, gain greater confidence in business and social protocol, project a dynamic professional image, acquire the resources for a more successful career, and gain the ability to confidently speak in front of others