If you want to ensure that your website constantly runs smoothly and is always available for use by your clients, you will need to ensure that you have some effective web development services behind you. No one is perfect, however, and even the best developers in the company are prone to making a mistake or two every now and then. The following list comprises some of the most common mistakes made across the industry, as well as some tips on how to avoid them:
- Include copyright information on your web pages to protect your content and design from being stolen by others. If your website is effectively stolen, it can actually lessen the number of visitors (who may think that you were the one who stole the design!).
- Limit the amount of web development technologies that you use in your work. Whilst it is great to use the latest and most up to date technologies, it is important to remember that these can actually distract visitors. Instead, use only a few of the latest technologies.
- Don’t post a visitor counter on your website. Let’s be honest here – no one, other than you, actually cares how many visitors your website has had. And the counter could come back and bite you in the butt – numbers that are too low are a deterrent, whilst many visitors will not believe numbers that are too high.
- Make sure that your navigation is user friendly and that all links work. Having unfriendly navigation and broken links are the biggest no-no’s in the web development industry. You need to make sure that visitors can easily find the information they are after.
- Make sure that each web page features a call to action. Every single page should provide visitors with instructions on what they should do next, whether that’s “order now” or “sign up”. Only putting these calls to action of select pages will actually lower your sales.
- Don’t produce long pages of content. Your visitors aren’t actually all that interested in reading your whole life story – they want all of the information they require to be presented to them in the shortest form possible, like dot points or mini headings.
When working on your next web development project, making sure that your website does not include any of the above mistakes will go a long way towards ensuring the site’s success. When your developer sends you the prototypes for checking, make sure that you keep an eye out for broken links, calls to action, excessive web development technologies and all of the other elements that could affect your traffic flow.