I have spent the last couple weeks speaking in-depth with women entrepreneurs about their goals and what’s holding them back. Here’s what I see happening over and over again: women who are playing small. Super-duper, tiny small!
Here are some of the ways this can show up in your sales and marketing, or your recruiting.
• You’re uncertain how to describe the work you do. As a result, you feel anxious and insecure. Then you’re puzzled why people who say they need help don’t recognize you have that exact form of help!
• You worry about people judging you. You hold back on what you say; you say bland generic things that do not excite anyone. You spend most of your time monitoring and trying to guess what your conversation partner is thinking, instead of BEING in the conversation with them.
• You feel that marketing is in conflict with an important value you have: e.g.,
It’s in conflict with being creative and artistic (I’m creating something new and wonderful; people should recognize that and choose to buy it without me doing anything special to sell my work),
Or with being spiritual and helping people (I have to give my work away in order to remain spiritual),
Or with the need to be modest and never take up too much time in any conversation (Nice girls don’t speak about themselves unless asked, they don’t monopolize conversations, and they never interrupt).
When you don’t market and sell what you do, you may be great at what you do, but somehow no one else knows about this except you, your cat/dog, and your close friends.
Here’s the big net effect. You are not sharing what you’re here to share. You have a unique purpose that you bring to life through your business. If you don’t share it with people, you are not fulfilling your divine purpose.
You are not helping the people you’re meant to help, who are lying awake at nights praying for an answer to appear.
All the people who can benefit from your special skills and your way of sharing your message – they have to look elsewhere for help, support, and guidance.
You are suffering. You aren’t making enough money; you don’t feel at ease in your work; you’re not living your best life.
Your family, friends, and complete strangers are suffering. When you are living in your full purpose, when you are authentically expressing yourself, when you give yourself permission to fully engage in your recruiting, or your sales and marketing – you are unleashed! You are unbounded! You expand, and that means you automatically enlarge the lives of others.
I love the Marianne Williamson quote on this: “And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.“
As you liberate yourself and allow yourself to experience abundance, prosperity, joy, and fun, you are giving others that gift, to cast off their fears and unleash themselves, and experience what you’ve got going on!
It’s not just an emotional experience you’re sharing, it’s also financial. As you make money, you spread more prosperity in the lives of people around you. You hire a cleaning service or buy a new phone – those represent jobs.
Your kids grow up seeing first-hand how a successful entrepreneur runs her business, overcomes obstacles, and develops self-confidence. The more you think and act like a self-confident successful entrepreneur, the more your kids see that, feel that, and try it on themselves.
What more amazing gift than to share your success with the many, many people in your life?!
Your business is not just for you; it’s for every customer you touch and in turn, the effect they have on their families and friends. It’s for your family and friends, who are touched by you and your success, your beliefs, your prosperity. It’s for all the colleagues standing beside and behind you, who are watching what you do and learning how to do that for themselves! They see that their dreams are possible, when they see your dreams come true!!
Don’t let these people down!
The world needs you, in your fullest glory, and it needs you NOW.
CALL TO ACTION
1. How many people are you directly serving in your business? These are your clients or your team members. Write this number down; I’m going to call this number X. (If you’re just starting and don’t yet have clients or recruits, let X=1.)
Take that number and add a zero to the end, so it’s 10 times X. What will you need to change in your business to serve that new 10X number?
2. Does your message need to be bigger and bolder to connect with 10X?
3. Do you need additional marketing strategies, in order to connect with 50X to 100X people and from that, get 10X new clients/recruits?
4. Do you need to change the way you’re showing up in the world: the way you’re thinking, speaking and feeling, in order to change the lives of 10X?
Marcy Stahl’s passion is helping women direct sellers and solopreneurs achieve the successful lifestyle they want. She knows that the top entrepreneurs have the top mindsets. Her mission is to help every entrepreneur develop a profitable and abundant mindset.
Marcy is a serial entrepreneur. Previously, she co-founded and managed a government contracting firm that earned over $1M in annual revenues. She holds a B.S. with honors and M.S. in Computer Science from George Mason University. Prior to coaching, she spent 21 years in the corporate world in technology.
She is the co-author of Direct Selling Power. Marcy is an Area Chapter Coordinator with the Direct Selling Women’s Alliance (DSWA) and a member of the Direct Selling Women’s Speaker Bureau. She’s currently in coaching school for direct sellers.