The legal system can seem confusing enough as it is, but when crazy laws are thrown into the equation it makes you wonder what laws you may have unknowingly broken in your time. Every country has its ridiculous laws, here are ten of the best.
1. In Pennsylvania, it’s against the law to tie a dollar bill on a string on the ground and pull it away when someone tries to pick it up.
Every child (and many adults!) have either pulled this trick or really wanted to give it a go, so you have to feel for the people of Pennsylvania who have to miss out on this classic prank. Whether or not anyone has ever faced conviction for this, we don’t know - but we’d hope the judge could see the funny side of it.
2. In New York city it is illegal to honk your horn
This may seem like a crazy law but in reality, anything that helps quieten down one of the world’s largest cities can’t be a bad thing. If you can’t contain your road rage you risk paying a $350 fine - and this probably won’t help your anger.
3. In Florida it is illegal to pass wind in a public place after 6pm on a Thursday
That’s right - if you need to let one out you will have to run home first or you could be arrested on the spot for causing a public nuisance. And Florida isn’t the only place to prohibit the release of intestinal gas - many other states have similar laws.
4. In England it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
When you’re on the brink of death the last thing that will come to mind is whether or not you are legally allowed to do it. But in England you will be breaking the law if you die in the Houses of Parliament. How exactly they would punish you for this ‘crime’ is another matter.
5. In Samoa it is illegal to forget your wife’s birthday
In most countries the worst punishment you’ll get is a night on the couch, but in Samoa if you forget your wife’s birthday you might be spending the night in a jail cell.
6. In Missouri it is illegal to drive with an uncaged bear
Next time you need to transport your bear in Missouri you’ll need to make sure it is in a cage. It makes you wonder how many times this happened for them to feel compelled to make a law against it.
7. In Turin, Italy dog owners must take them on a walk three times a day
The dogs of Turin must be some of the luckiest in the world. On top of having to be walked three times a day, they can only be walked with the owner on a bicycle if ‘it doesn’t tire the animal out too much’. It is also illegal to dye your pets fur.
8. In Honolulu, Hawaii it is illegal to sing loudly after sunset.
The government in Hawaii were probably onto a good thing when they came up with this law. Unless you’re Mariah Carey or a former contestant on American Idol then your loud, late night singing probably won’t be missed.
9. In Sweden it is illegal to buy services from a prostitute. Prostitution is legal though.
In Sweden you will be arrested if found to be buying the services of a prostitute but the prostitute themselves would not be breaking the law. It may seem like a confusing notion, but some people clearly think it makes sense because in the last few years Iceland and Norway have also adopted this law.
10. In Victoria, Australia it is illegal to change a lightbulb if you are not a licensed electrician
This really is a law, but before you all start panicking, the fine is only around $20 (cheaper than getting an electrician in!) and you won’t find yourself with a criminal record.
Victor Daily is a writer and blogger who writes about wide range of topics depending on his current interests and research. He currently writes about curious legal topics and workers compensation.