Using EFT Can Be Very Easy!
Each of us has the power to successfully use EFT meridian tapping. Even newcomers to tapping actually have all that it takes to be successful, however often they are told that they need to learn fancy protocols, and I believe otherwise!
For years before knowing about EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) I practiced NET (Neuro Emotional Technique). This is a powerful modality developed by Dr. Scott Walker and a team of other DC’s, MD’s, PhD’s and others. It has been tested over and over in clinical, scientific studies, to successfully clear the emotional component of pain, discomfort, psychological issues, among many other applications.
In NET the patient holds a feeling, which could be physical or emotional/mental/psychological. Because the patient presented to a practitioner with some kind of discomfort, it is just that – the discomfort – that is focused upon. There is no need for an affirmation, set-up statement, or learning any kind of protocol for the process to work. The patient holds a “snapshot” of the issue and focuses on the feeling of that.
In EFT the basic concept is the same. Although Gary Craig has presented us with a wonderfully balanced set-up statement that can support balanced polarity and usually clear psychological reversal, it is the FEELING rather than the words that is important while you tap on the meridian points. (I still advise all EFT users to start with tapping the karate chop point using Gary Craig’s original set-up statement x 3, then go right into holding the feeling.)
In cases of trauma you can start with the feelings that are obviously in the present and start to clear those first, then systematically go deeper and deeper to the root cause. This still allows one with full trauma or PTSD to ease into the real painful areas without being re-traumatized.
There are many EFT practitioners who are experts at leading a tapping session with elaborate verbiage, and if you listen to what they are saying and viscerally feel the results of what they say, then you can realize that whatever they are saying is merely keeping you in that FEELING place so that the tapping can remove the underlying emotional charge beneath the feeling. So, the words really do not matter as long as you are holding a feeling! The words are presented as a guide – to keep you in the feeling.
The best time to tap is when you feel something uncomfortable. Immediately tap on that feeling. To best get your own attention you may speak to yourself aloud so that your left brain gets in alignment with your purpose and intention of clearing… and doesn’t wander somewhere else. You may simply talk about “this feeling” while holding onto the feeling. If you start to lose the feeling, then talk about the situation, what has gone on, and remind yourself of what it is that you are tapping away. Often mid-way through the regular tapping sequence the feeling dissipates and a sense of spaciness remains. This is good, as it shows that the initial feelings have cleared. At this point you might continue talking to yourself asking about other feelings related to the issue.
· “Do I feel sad, frustrated, angry, confused,…?”
· “What else do I feel, if anything?”
· “How will I feel if this happens again?”
· “Can I forgive any other person who is also involved in this issue?”
· “Can I forgive myself?”
· “When is the first time that I ever felt this way?”
· “Who was involved then, and have I tapped this away?” (If there is still charge, then tapping is needed.)
· Continue searching for related issues holding emotional charge…
The EFT sequence can be very short and easy, even for a person new to the concept. When I facilitate I combine NET with EFT to create N- EFT (Neuro- Emotional Freedom Technique). I am famous for my longer tapping sessions because I focus on each meridian point, which organs or glands are involved, and which emotions generally relate to each organ or gland. I like to provide my clients with definite return on their investment of time, energy, money, so I usually clear more than one aspect around an issue. When I focus on my own issues I often go quickly through the sequence focusing just on the feeling, and then I go back to clear additional aspects around that. It takes very little time and is very easy.
If you are interested in starting to use EFT in your life, here are some tips for ease and success:
1. Learn the points first and start to use them on yourself
2. Learn the basic set-up statement and use it in its easiest format: “Even though I f eel __________ (about ________), I deeply and completely accept myself,” means “I know that I’m doing the best that I can do and I love myself for that!”
3. If the set-up statement is uncomfortable for you to say, then tap to clear the charge on that first.
4. Use the set-up statement with the karate chop point x 3 in order to get your subconscious involved and unblocked.
5. Then just talk to yourself – just as though you are talking to your best friend. (Your subconscious, right mind/limbic brain is listening.) Talk about your feelings as you tap from one point to the next.
6. Do your tapping deliberately and don’t feel bad about lingering on a point for several phrases or sentences. Move to the next point when you feel some relief on the previous point.
7. Create your own style of talking “your talk” while you tap. Just remember that the only reason that you are “talking” is to remind you of what you are feeling.
8. Love yourself enough to tap whenever you feel less than optimal in ANY area of your life.
9. Tap on yourself only – until you feel totally confident and you have experienced many successes in clearing uncomfortable feelings.
10.Share with others after you truly believe that this works for you and have some wonderful personal experience in using the process!
I wish you well in your journey into wholeness, clarity, and the state of peacefulness and well-being using EFT! Just remember to tap away everything that feels bad in your life, and focus on your feelings while you do it. The results will show up!
Dr. Anne Merkel is known internationally as Coach Alchemist and Energy Psychologist with The Ariela Group of Wholistic Services.
She specializes in using N-hanced EFT (Neuro- Emotional Freedom Technique), an energy clearing modality combining NET and EFT for conscious life and business transformation, wellness, and release of trauma. Anne invites you to learn how you may clear inner blocks, self-sabotage, and pain by visiting her EFT Coaching site and receiving her new e-guidebook, Ten Keys to Pure Potentiality.