Ernest Holmes founded the International Religious Science movement. His Science of Mind teaching is recognized today as one of the leading viewpoints in modern metaphysics. It is a spiritual philosophy that has brought to people around the world a positive approach to daily living and a sense of their relationship to God and their place in the Universe.
Holmes left school at age 18 and set out on his lifelong course of independent thinking. In 1914, at age 25, he discovered the writings of Thomas Troward, which increased his interest from earlier studies of metaphysics. He began speaking on Troward’s writings to small groups. His ministry had begun. As his audiences grew, he was ordained as a minister of the Divine Science Church.
Holmes wrote The Science of Mind, published in 1926, and many other books on metaphysics. His many students urged him to set up an incorporated organization. The Institute of Religious Science and the School of Philosophy was formed in 1927, which is known today as the United Church of Religious Science.
Holmes Institute, formerly Ernest Holmes College, has been preparing individuals to enter the ministry for over 30 years. Ernest Holmes originated the international magazine Science of Mind, which has been in continuous publication since 1927.
• Never limit your view of life by any past experience.
• Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it.
• All limitations are self-imposed.
• There is a power for good in the Universe, greater than we are, available to everyone, and we can use it.
• Your thoughts are tools that you use in affirming the Creative Power into your experience.
• We cannot lead a choiceless life. Every day, every moment, every second, there is a choice. If it were not so, we would not be individuals.
• Faith is a mental attitude which is so convinced of its own idea, which so completely accepts it, that any contradiction is unthinkable and impossible.
The best place to start with Ernest Holmes is with his book The Science of Mind: A Philosophy, A Faith, A Way of Life. In the opening sentence of the book, Holmes says that “we all look forward to the day when science and religion shall walk hand in hand through the visible to the invisible.”
Later, Holmes begins to define the study of Science of the Mind. He writes, “The study of Science of the Mind is the study of First Cause, Spirit, Mind, or that Invisible Essence, that ultimate Stuff and Intelligence from which everything comes, the Power Back of Creation, the Thing Itself.”
This book contains the fundamentals of Holmes’s teachings. He has combined the teachings of great philosophers, knowledge of Eastern and Western traditions, and the nature of science to create a philosophy of religion and psychology that emphasizes the limitless potential of the human mind.
The principles are designed to apply to people of all religious and spiritual backgrounds, and Holmes provides us with the steps necessary to master the powers of the mind to find purpose in life. The Science of Mind is considered by many to be a spiritual classic that belongs on every Self Improvement bookshelf.
ADDRESS: Science of Mind Editorial Holmes Institute Home Office
Offices 3251 West Sixth Street
3251 West Sixth Street P.O. Box 75127
Los Angeles, CA 90020-5096 Los Angeles, CA 90075-0127
PHONE: (213) 388-2181 (offices)
(800) 247-6463 (for subscription information)