written by Neal Dranoff
I recently heard an announcer on one of our local sports talk radio stations initiate a new call-in segment with the listening audience called “I Just Don’t Get It.” He limited his list to sports personalities and storylines and kept his listeners within the same parameters. This got me to thinking about news items and personalities “I just don’t get,” while confining my choices to topics and people revolving around 50 plus males.
These are some items that make me scratch my head in wonderment; please feel encouraged to submit any that you think of to The 50 Plus Male by clicking on the “Leave a Comment” link at the bottom of this post…
1. How has the Geezer Bandit (as I compose this post) alluded the FBI?
2. How anyone, let alone a 73 year-old, has run 400 marathons?
3. How did Tom DeLay last more than one week on “Dancing With The Stars?”
4. How Clint Eastwood continues to make movies that are qualitatively better than 99% of anything else currently playing AND composes his own movie soundtracks?
5. How does a 73 year old (must be some kind of magic number) Japanese guy become a leading porn star in his country?
6. How does Jack LaLanne keep going…it can’t be the Power Juicer?
7. How has Senator Byrd (D-WV) kept his seat in Congress all these years?
8. Whenever we think of Michael Douglas being married to a much younger Catherine Zeta-Jones, a rakish smile crosses our faces while a “not so small” tinge of jealousy emotes from our gut; whereas thoughts of Madonna and Jesus Luz produce outright laughter and guttural disgust.
9. Why some graybeard rock bands (Rolling Stones, Aerosmith et. al.) still carry on like they are in their twenties?
10. How ex-President George H. W. Bush (aka 41) still has the cajones to skydive every five years or so on his birthday? (Tip of the hat to him…)
11. Why guys over 50 are generally thought to lack technical prowess by the younger set, yet many of the kings of Computerland, USA (Silicon Valley, Redmond, etc.) like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Eric Schmidt, and Larry Ellison are over 50 years of age?
12. Now I’m reading that we may begin losing our financial smarts after the age of 53…anyone ever hear of Ben Bernanke, Hank Paulson, Paul Volcker, Paul Krugman, Jamie Dimon?
This list could stretch on ad infinitum; the point is…“I just don’t get it.”
Tags: 50 Plus Males, boomers, geezer, listeners, president
Boomer-Living.com is a unique and innovative internet resource whose goal is to be the most trusted and reliable internet destination for people of the Baby Boomer Generation.
The objective of Boomer-Living® is to "MAKE A DIFFERENCE" by offering valuable information, guidance, tools, and tips, as well as services and products, designed to improve the quality of life for all Baby Boomers.
Boomer-Living.com promotes and highlights the rich and rewarding possibilities available to all members of the Baby Boomer Generation, while strongly supporting the concept of lifelong learning, personal mastery, and self-fulfillment.
Join us as we explore the issues, the challenges, and help seize the opportunities facing baby boomers in the 21st Century.
Additional Resources covering Baby Boomers can be found at: