Most Tantric sacred lovemaking texts substitute more poetic terms to refer to the male and female sexual anatomy. Penis is lingam. Vagina is yoni. There are hundreds of other terms commonly used, such as golden rod, wand of light, jade stalk, tangled garden, honey pot and secret cave. Using such terminology is generally perceived to be more respectful, sensual and romantic. Certainly the language commonly heard on the streets such as cock and cunt, seems by comparison crude and disrespectful.
Genital Sizes – Mix and Match
The Kama Sutra, by Vatsyayana classifies the lingam and yoni according to size.
Male – Lingam: Hare (small) – Bull (medium) – Horse (large)
Female – Yoni: Deer (small) – Mare (medium) – Elephant (large)
According to Vatsyayana (and common sense) matches of equal size are ideal, but lovers can manage the other combinations quite nicely. Certain positions are helpful when there is a mismatch of genital sizes.
When the lingam is small and the yoni large try the following positions.
- Man on Top – “Missionary” (variation – legs over shoulders) - allows for maximum penetration
- Woman on Top – “Crouching Tigress” (variation – “Sidesaddle”) – allows for the skillful use of PC squeezing by the woman
- Opposites – “Backslide” – provides an ideal angle for stimulation of the G-Spot
When the lingam is large and the yoni is small try the following positions.
- Man on Top – “Missionary” (variation – man supports his weight off the woman) – allows for holding back from maximum penetration
- Woman on Top – “Tender Surrender” (variation – lying face to face) – the lady is in charge of penetration and thrusting
- Face to Face – “One Crutch” – allows for holding back from maximum penetration
- Sideways – “The Lover’s Scissors” – penetration is not deep and thrusting is relaxed
- Other Positions – Pregnancy – “The Cradle” (variation II) – shallow penetration and relaxed thrusting
This is an excerpt from the eBook Tantra and Kama Sutra Sex Positions
Al Link and Pala Copeland own and operate 4 Freedoms Relationship Tantra. They regularly host lover’s romantic weekends near Ottawa Canada, and weeklong retreats in exotic locations. For more information call toll free from Canada or USA: 1-800-684-5308 International long distance: 1-819-689-5308. Visit their websites www.tantra-sex.com, www.sexyspiritualrelationships.com and their blog (www.askaboutloveandsex.com) or send email: email@example.com. They have four books published including Soul Sex: Tantra for Two, New Page, 2003; The Complete Idiot's Guide to Supercharged Kama Sutra, Penguin, 2007; Sensual Love Secrets for Couples: The Four Freedoms Body, Heart, Mind and Soul, Llewellyn 2007; Tantra Step by Step: 28 Days to Ecstasy, Llewellyn 2007.
Additional Resources covering Tantra can be found at: