Plants tend to make a living room comfortable, but animal parents should be extra careful when selecting trees and flowers. Several plants produce poisonous compounds that can harm dogs or cats if they are consumed. ,Symptoms of poisoning can be mild to serious, and in certain cases, pets may even die. Usually plants have several names, so it is necessary to ensure that the plants you own or intend to buy are not poisonous to your pet.

Peace Lily

Although the Peace Lily is a beautiful houseplant with a variety of detoxifying properties, it may be poisonous if eaten by both humans and pets. If you have this in your house, be sure to keep this out of the reach of small kids and curious pets.

Sago Palm

This popular exotic plant brings a pleasant feel to your home; however, it can be very problematic if your pet gets his paws on this plant. Any part of this plant is a health risk. From the seeds, to the roots, to the leaves – if eaten, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and, in some cases, even liver failure and death.

Devil’s Ivy

If you want to keep this common trailing plant in your home, hang it out of sight of your pets. Indications of ingestion can be instantly evident, including facial pawing, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to extreme swelling in the mouth may also happen, making it hard to breathe or swallow.

Aloe Plant

Aloe plant (also known as the medicinal plant and Barbados aloe) is a common, succulent plant that is poisonous to dogs and cats. Aloin is known to be a toxic agent in this plant. This bitter, yellow substance is present in most aloe species and can induce vomiting and/or redness in the urine.


If you grow eucalyptus as a houseplant and have a pet, then be careful that eucalyptus oil could cause lethargy and irritate your pet. Even the scent of eucalyptus oil can cause your pet's bad mood.


The flowers produce lycorine, an alkaloid that induces vomiting. Consumption of the bulb, plant or flower can cause serious vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and even potential cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory failure. Crystals are located in the outer bulb layer, close to hyacinths, which cause extreme tissue inflammation and secondary slobbering. Daffodils ingestion may lead to more serious symptoms, so if exposure is observed or symptoms are noticed, it is recommended that veterinary treatment must be received for additional supportive treatment.

Elephant Ear

In hotter climates, elephant ear can be successfully grown in the garden, but it is more widely recognized as a popular houseplant throughout the rest of the globe. Beautiful as it may be, the plant may induce swelling of the mouth, vomiting, and diarrhea in both animals and humans—just enough justification for a conscientious owner to avoid it.


Both species of Cacti are known to be harmful to pets. If consumed, pets can suffer throat and internal injuries owing to thorns and also skin irritation and vomiting due to toxins.

Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs

The bulb portions of Tulip/Narcissus spp. contain contaminants that can cause extreme intestinal discomfort, drooling, lack of appetite, central nervous system depression, seizures, and cardiac irregularities.


Oleander (Nerium oleander) is an outdoor plant that is famous for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers. All parts of the plant are commonly known to be poisonous- even the water in the flower pot has been noted to cause toxicosis; however, leaves and flowers are highly toxic when consumed and can cause serious vomiting, slow heart rate and probably even lead to death.

In most situations, the intensity of the reaction of a pet relies on how much of the poisonous plant is consumed. Factors can also be the breed and size of the pet. If you believe your cat or dog has eaten any of these plants, feel free to contact your veterinarian immediately.

Author's Bio: 

I am the specialist in Content Writing on Pets.

I started my career from 2012 to onward.