Invisible threats can exist in your home that do serious damage to your health for months or even years before you’re aware of them. Many are odorless and can’t be detected without the right equipment. Particularly in an older home, it’s important to have the place inspected. Here are four common dangers to look for.


Asbestos is a fibrous material that’s insulative and fireproof, and it was added to everything from wall plaster to ceiling tiles. However, it was later discovered that asbestos particles can cause lung diseases and are linked to lung cancer. As late as the 1980s, asbestos was still being used in home construction. Most American products can’t be higher than 1 percent asbestos, but some foreign countries still use it. If you suspect you might have asbestos in your home, have it tested and contract with a professional service to remove it.


This is an invisible, odorless, radioactive gas formed within the ground by decomposing uranium. Radon may seep into your home through your foundation or basement. Radon can lead to lung cancer when inhaled. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 20,000 people are killed by radon each year. Smokers may be especially at risk of lung cancer when radon is present. The high activity of children and still-developing tissues makes them more susceptible to negative effects. If you live in an area when uranium may be present in the soil, it’s important to have your air tested and get radon detectors installed. Radon sealing paint, charcoal water filters, and ground aeration are all ways of reducing radon.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is produced by any form of combustion. Each year, people die in the winter from using gas heaters indoors without proper ventilation. When oxygen is low and CO is high, your body accepts the carbon monoxide into your bloodstream in it’s place, with the result that your body begins to suffocate. Often you won’t even realize it’s happening, but the effect can be fatal. Warnings signs include headache, dizziness, confusion, nausea, and sleepiness. Include carbon monoxide detectors in your home, and be sure that anything burning is vented directly outside.

Fresh Air

The air you’re breathing every day could contain contaminates. Bacteria, allergens, toxic mold, particles from insect or rodent droppings, and other substances could be blowing through your home. It’s important that you have the finest filters available in your vents to remove contaminants from the air. Have your HVAC system regularly inspected and cleaned to ensure your air conditioning is working optimally to provide your family clean, fresh air.

It’s important to understand what kinds of risks you face in your home. Be sure to take all preventative measures, and consult with Cape Fear Air Conditioning & Heating Co., Inc. or your local HVAC company for ways to maintain air quality in the home.

Author's Bio: 

Dixie Somers is a freelance writer and blogger for business, home, and family niches. Dixie lives in Phoenix, Arizona, and is the proud mother of three beautiful girls and wife to a wonderful husband.