If you have been an Australian resident for some time and are thinking about relocating your parents to Australia, this article will provide you with the essential details to get things moving. Moving to Australia is the ideal alternative for elderly parents because of the high standard of living and advanced medical treatment available there. 

The parent visa will allow them to work if they are still of working age and choose to do so and will also speed up the process of becoming a citizen.

Let's look at different types of parent visas in Australia and what they entail.

Requirements for An Australian Parent Visa

Your parents can stay with you permanently if they get a visa. This is a viable alternative if you're looking for a way to relocate them to Australia. The following criteria should be met by the elderly before continuing:

  • The Child Must Be a Permanent Resident or Citizen

If their child is a citizen or Permanent Resident, this might be useful to them. To qualify as a sponsor, the child must have been physically present in the country for at least two years.

  • Satisfy the Requirements of the Family Balance Test

The family balance test requires that both parents meet certain requirements. It many cases, it is mandatory for this test to be cleared. To qualify for the Australian Parent Visa, applicants must show that at least half of their children or stepchildren are permanent residents, usually residing in Australia,  or citizens of Australia.

  • Health and Character

There are health and character requirements for parents. They need to get an x-ray, an HIV test, and a full medical examination. The same is true for people seeking non-contributory parent visas. To qualify for a non-contributory parent visa, parents under this visa must submit to a health examination.

Understanding the Many Australian Parent Visa Options

Currently, there are six different types of Parent visas, split roughly in half between non-contributing and contributory categories. Another possible distinction is based on whether the applicant is a temporary or permanent resident, as well as the applicant's age. Permanent options enable you to live, work, study, access Medicare, travel, and eventually seek citizenship in Australia.

Contributory parent visa processing timeframes are significantly shorter, making these visas a more viable alternative, but they are also significantly more costly.

Non-contributory visas are advantageous because of the decreased fees involved. However, due to the limited number of available slots in the program each year, the "cap and queue" approach causes applicants to wait a very long time before their applications are even reviewed.

Applicants can spread out the Department's payment by applying for a temporary option first and then transitioning to a permanent option.

Parent Visa Options for Australia

A permanent resident visa for Australia can be obtained through several different pathways.

These include:

Parent Visa (Subclass 103)

Your parents can work, go to school, and even get Medicare in Australia for the rest of their lives if they have a "parent visa" (subclass 103). If you or a sibling become citizens, you can sponsor your elderly parents for this visa. Your parents must be of retirement age to meet the criteria of this visa. One drawback is that it falls under the area of capping and queueing (there are a certain number of openings every year but no guarantees on how long the application will take to process). It can take up to 29 years for final processing, which is why not many people apply for this visa anymore.

Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173)

Your parent can stay in Australia for up to 2 years on a Contributory Parent Temporary Visa (subclass 173) and then apply for a permanent subclass 143 visa. Although your parents will be able to work, attend school, and sign up for Medicare, they will receive no financial assistance from the government if they choose this costly (but payable in installments) alternative.

Contributory Parent (Resident) Visa (Subclass 143)

The Parent Visa 143 is similar to the Parent Visa 103 in terms of eligibility and privileges, but it is substantially more expensive and has a much shorter processing period. These costs, however, can be spread out over time if you chose to go for a staggered approach via Subclass 173 with subsequent transition to Subclass 143 once your Subclass 173 is granted. 

Important to note that Subclasses of visas mentioned above belong to an off-shore category of visas and do not come with a Bridging visa allowing you to remain in Australia while one of the above subclasses is being processed. 

For those willing to lodge an onshore application for a Parent visa, the can apply for one of the following visas. One of the benefits of these visas is that you will be entitled to the grant of a Bridging visa that will enable you to remain in Australia while your application is being processed. To apply on shore, you must hold a substantive visa without any conditions that may prevent you from lodging an on-shore application. 

Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 804)

Your parent must be in Australia and at least the minimum pension age (currently minimum 65 years and 6 months). Visa holders have the same benefits as those with a category 103 visa, costs are reasonable and may be paid in installments, however, there are caps and waiting lists.

Contributory Aged (Resident)Parent Visa (Subclass 864)

The Subclass 864 Contributory Aged Parent Residence Visa is more expensive and processes considerably more quickly than the Subclass 804 Parent Visa. The eligibility criteria is similar to the 804 visa.

Contributory Aged (Temporary) Parent Visa (Subclass 884)

Subclass 884 is a temporary visa for a financially supporting elderly parent, however, the two-step visa process (beginning with the authorization to remain in Australia for up to 2 years) requires that the parent already be present in Australia when the application is submitted, and it comes at a higher cost.


Applying for a parent visa in Australia is one of the only ways to migrate your parents to Australia permanently. However, there are several options for applying for a parent visa to Australia, and it's important to know what your options are before you begin the process.

When you reach out to a migration agent in Canberra, they can help you figure out which option is best for your family situation and offer advice on how to get started with the application process.

Author's Bio: 

Hi, I am Aria. I am a passionate blogger. Blogging is my profession. I love to write articles on several topics. Keep up the good work and Have a great day!