Apart from the general student visa applied for by most students to study at undergraduate or higher level, there are other visas that the Australian government grants. Each visa type has its own eligibility criteria and validity and involves an application, either by the candidate or the sponsor organization. The important classes of student visas are as follows:

Subclass 500 Student visa
This visa allows the candidate to participate in an eligible course of study and also allows part-time work up to 40 hours per two-week period. Duration of this visa depends upon the course duration. You must have an offer from an Australian university and must have received an eCOE (Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment). Application to 2 courses is allowed if one course directly leads to the next. Traveling in and out of Australia is allowed as long as the Student Visa Australia is valid.

Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa
This visa provides a temporary permit to live, work and study in Australia for International students. It has the following 2 classifications;
• Graduate Work stream: The student must have the qualifications for an occupation that Australia needs. It allows a stay in Australia for up to 18 months.
• Post-Study Work stream: The student must have studied with an Australian education provider. It allows staying in Australia between 2 to 4 years after studies have been completed.

Subclass 407 Training visa
This visa type allows the applicant to have practical work experience with an organization. The organization must apply for the visa on behalf of the candidate and must submit a nomination application. This visa covers any of the following cases;
1. For students enrolled in a foreign university who need practical experience or research work, to complete their qualification.
2. To ensure workplace-experience before getting registration for full-time work in Australia.
3. For skill development for candidates who already have prior work experience and are seeking to develop their skills in the same field.
This visa is granted for a maximum period of 2 years and is not liable to be extended.

Subclass 476 Skilled—Recognized Graduate visa
This Study Abroad Student Visa is for Engineering graduates who have completed their degree in the last 2 years, before applying to this visa and allows applicants to travel, work and stay in Australia. The following engineering disciplines are accepted; civil, structural, chemical, environmental, electrical and electronics, mining and material, mechanical, production and plant engineering.

The engineering qualification must have been completed from an institution accredited under the Washington Accord (for India, it means having the following accreditations; National Board of Accreditation (NBA) WA or Institution of Engineers India IPEA).

A necessary condition for this visa is that the applicant must have previously been held Australian visa of a subclass 476 or 485. The visa is valid for 18 months and cannot be extended.

Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa
This visa lets skilled candidates nominated by Australian SkillSelect to live and work in Australia as permanent residents. For this, an applicant must submit an expression of interest (EOI) to SkillSelect. After receiving an email invitation to apply for the Visa, you can apply online.

The visa categories must be carefully evaluated to ensure that Australia Study Visa Requirements are met and that you qualify for the visa. All relevant documents must be made ready before the visa application, keeping in mind the deadlines.

Author's Bio: 

Find all the details regarding the study abroad student visa and the documents required to apply for abroad studies from the expert counselors.