Even though numerous epidemiological risk factors have been fully documented, it is still evident that the formation of many specific breast cancers has not been determined. Accordingly, epidemiological research derives the manner in which breast cancer manifests itself within a particular population, but it is unable to identify the characteristics relevant to an individual. In terms of specifics, the dominant risk factors are known to be the following:
Sex, Age, Childbearing, Hormones, High Fat Diet, Alcohol Consumption, Obesity, Smoking, Radiation, and Shiftwork.

Although the etiology of some 95% of breast cancer cases is still not known, that relating to the remaining 5% of new breast cancers has been identified as being associated with aspects of hereditary. Of particular note, are those individuals who are known to be carriers of the breast cancer susceptibility genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2. In such cases, there is an additional risk of some 30-40% in respect of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Which of these manifests itself is dependent upon the particular part of the protein in which the mutation occurs.

In terms of a global dimension, breast cancer is without doubt the most common form of cancer prevalent amongst women. It has been shown that the occurrence of breast cancer in women is at least twice that of either colorectal cancer or cervical cancer, and of the order of some three times that of lung cancer. However, in the case of women, the global rate of mortality of breast cancer is approximately 25% greater than that of lung cancer. Studies have shown that, in 2005, there were 502,000 deaths globally attributable to breast cancer. Putting this death rate into perspective, it represents only 7% of all deaths due to cancer and a mere 1% of deaths attributable to all causes. However, it must be noted that the number of cases of breast cancer identified worldwide has shown a marked increase since the 1970’s. A number of reasons for this have been put forward, but the most likely candidate is the change in lifestyle experienced in Western societies.

In the United States, amongst native Americans and the natives of Alaska, the last few years have seen a steady decline in both the incidence and reported death rates from breast cancer. The Society for Women’s Health Research (SWHR) is a non-profit organisation in the United States established in order to facilitate the health of all women through research, education and campaigning. Founded in 1990, the SWHR highlighted the need to include women in fundamental medical research studies and the requirement for greater information concerning factors affecting women predominantly, and how their needs differ from those of men. In this respect, a US study in 2005 by the SWHR identified the widespread belief that breast cancer was by far the most feared disease amongst women notwithstanding the fact that the rate of mortality in women from heart disease is so much greater. It is noteworthy that evidence from doctors has suggested that many women greatly exaggerate their vulnerability to contracting breast cancer.

Breast Cancer – How To Succeed

Author's Bio: 

Peter Radford writes Articles with Websites on a wide range of subjects. Breast Cancer Articles cover Background, Symptoms, Risk, Prevention, Treatment.

His Website contains a total of 41 Breast Cancer Articles, written by others and carefully selected.

View his Website at: breast-cancer-how-to-succeed.com

View his Blog at: breast-cancer-how-to-succeed.blogspot.com