Household products are generally perceived to be safe, but that doesn’t mean that no harm can come to us in our homes. In fact, it’s when we feel safest that we are most vulnerable, as it’s easy to become careless. The truth is that even household items can harm us. Knowing which chemicals to handle with care will help us avoid accidents. Here are some household chemicals that we need to take extra care when handling.

Ammonia is a highly-corrosive chemical that is commonly found in household cleaning products. It can cause burns immediately upon contact and high concentrations of ammonia can also burn your nose, throat, and lungs. Always wear protective gear such as rubber gloves and an eye shield when handling products with high concentrations of ammonia.

Asbestos is a resin that is used in many construction materials such as tiles, shingles, and insulation. Many studies have proven the dangers of asbestos exposure, and yet most consumer products contain trace amounts. Asbestos is most harmful in houses that were built during the 1980s, as asbestos fibers are easily disturbed. Inhaling these fibers can cause lung cancer as well as abdominal swelling, and its symptoms may remain dormant from 20 to 50 years. If you suspect that you might have been exposed to asbestos, then you might want to consider seeking a top mesothelioma law firm to help you secure compensation.

This liquid is used to lower the freezing point of any liquid. It is commonly used to prevent radiator fluid from freezing. Its fumes are not harmful to the body, but if somehow antifreeze is ingested, it can harm your lungs, heart, kidneys, and brain, since the body metabolizes antifreeze into toxic acids which will corrode your organs.

Lead poisoning occurs when the lead in your body accumulates to dangerous levels by breathing or ingesting a substance that contains lead. Substances such as paint, water, dust, and even food can become mediums for lead. Lead is particularly dangerous to children because it is commonly found in toys. Lead poisoning can damage your kidneys and your brain. It has also been found to cause anemia in children, and it has also shown to cause irreversible damage to the nervous systems in unborn children.

Should These Items Be Completely Discarded?
The short answer is no, except for lead-contaminated toys and anything that contains high amounts of asbestos. In fact, most household items are reasonably safe, especially if they are FDA-approved. The key to preventing untoward accidents from these household chemicals is proper usage and storage. These products will always have usage instructions and first aid instructions if you end up misusing them.

Always follow these directions strictly.
If there are products that do not have these directions on their label, then you might also want to report the product to the FDA for a marketing defect. Again, this article is not meant to instill fear and panic, but rather, it is meant to emphasize the importance of proper usage and storage of household products.

Author's Bio: 

Lora Y.