Excerpted from the new book by Bob Bly, How to Write and Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit.

1. It’s easy to get started in how-to writing: “How-to writing provides a quicker, surer entry into publication than many other writing categories. Vast hordes dream of writing the Great
American Novel, but the group of writers who dream of writing the Great American Guide to Growing a Greener Lawn is a bit smaller.”

2. How-to writing pays extremely well: “Some of the best-selling books of all time are how-to books. If you follow the plan in How to Write and Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit, I think you can realistically get to the $100,000 to $200,000 a year income level within 12 to 24 months.”

3. You don’t need to be the world’s greatest writer: “To succeed as a how-to, do-it-yourself, or self-help author, you don’t have to be the next Shakespeare or even the next Stephen King. Can you explain something or teach a skill in a clear, organized, entertaining fashion? Then you can succeed as a how-to writer.”

4. You don’t need to be the leading guru in your field: “You do not need to be the leading practitioner, scholar, or expert in your field to write a book about it. As noted by author and speaker Fred Gleeck, you only need know more about your subject than 90 percent of the people out there. ‘Don’t worry about the other 10 percent; they’re not your market anyway,’ says Fred.”

5. Whether you know it or not, you have unique knowledge to share with a paying audience: “If you think you are not an expert in any subject, I doubt that’s really true. Every person has unique skills, training, and experiences. You are an ‘expert’ in your life and many of the things that make up your life.”

6. Even when information is free, demand for knowledge is high: “Even in a world dominated by Google, the wisdom, knowledge, and guidance people are seeking are in short supply. As librarian Richard Yates once observed, ‘We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.’ As a result, the public’s appetite for how-to material is insatiable, and—despite the Internet user’s mantra that ‘information should be free’—readers eagerly open their wallets to obtain it.”

7. The guided step-by-step plan in How to Write and Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit shows you everything you need to do to be a success: “By following the comprehensive plan laid out in this book, you can earn a comfortable six-figure annual income from your writing. And you can do it when and where you want, while writing what interests and pleases you. You can work at home—no boss, no commute, no suit and tie, no alarm clock.”

For more information visit http://howtowriteandsellsimpleinformation.com/ .

Author's Bio: 

Bob Bly is a full-time freelance copywriter specializing in direct marketing. He earns more than $700,000 a year from his writing, and became a self-made multi-millionaire while still in his 30s. Bob is the author of over 75 books including Careers for Writers (McGraw-Hill/VGM), Secrets of a Freelance Writer (Henry Holt), The Copywriter’s Handbook (Henry Holt), The Elements of Technical Writing (Alyn & Bacon) and The Elements of Business Writing (Alyn & Bacon). McGraw-Hill calls Bob Bly “America’s top copywriter,” and he was named 2007 Copywriter of the Year by American Writers and Artists, Inc. For more information or to order a copy of the book, visit http://www.amazon.com/Write-Sell-Simple-Information-Profit/dp/1884995608