During Valentine's Day there is certainly an abundance of candy lying around.  If you own a dog, then it is important for you not to let your dog gain access to any of those candies and sweet treats and also you can find best cheap dog food by follow the hyper link.

You especially need to be careful with all of the chocolates you have around your home.  A very small amount of chocolate will not cause much harm.  However, too much chocolate will certainly have disastrous consequences since it contains theobromine and caffeine, two substances which are very harmful to dogs.

Your dog can very easily die if he eats too much chocolate.  Milk chocolate is slightly better than plain dark chocolate due to the fact it has less theobromine.  In either case, it is best for you to avoid letting your dog eat any chocolate at all.

If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate you need to lookout for certain signs.  They include diarrhea, vomiting, abnormal heart rate, and increased thirst and urination.  If you notice any of these signs you should take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.

In addition to chocolate, pet owners also need to be wary of other Valentine's Day candy.  Many types of candy and gum contain xylitol which is a common sweetener.  This substance is very toxic to dogs and can result in depression, seizures, and loss of coordination.  Some dogs even develop liver failure after eating candy.

On Valentine's Day people commonly have flowers as well as candy and chocolate.  You should be careful letting your dog go around certain types of flowers.  They may be curious enough to eat them not knowing they are toxic.

Azaleas are very toxic to pets.  Cat owners should be aware lilies are quite dangerous to their pets.  Ingestion of toxic flowers and plants can cause signs such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Although roses are not toxic they can still harm your pet.  They may bite or step on the thorns and injure themselves.  This can lead to a serious bacterial infection if it is not treated properly.

If you plan on cooking dinner for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day, then it is best for you not to give the leftovers to your pet.  Foods which are spicy or fatty are certainly not good.  Avoid giving your dog meat with bones in it too.

When it comes to Valentine's Day pet owners need to be very careful.  Do not allow your pet gain access to candy or flowers as they may be harmful.

 

Author's Bio: 

Share this article thanks