It seems that whenever you turn on the television or open a magazine what you see are advertisements about how important it is to keep your home smelling fresh and completely germ free. In order to provide such a high level of bacteria and germ free results, the manufacturers of typical household cleaners have to use some really nasty chemicals. It is not a huge leap of faith to see that if these chemicals are so harmful to bacteria, germs, and contaminants in the home they must also be harmful to humans.

In reality all homes, no matter how clean they may be, have some germs and bacteria present that are not harmful us in any way. While we are sold the idea that germs and bacteria should be got rid of at all costs, there is no mention from the cleaning product manufacturers about the dangers that are contained within their brightly labeled bottles, jars and boxes. The truth of the matter is that many of these products are just as dangerous to humans and pets in the home as the very germs they are designed to eliminate.

Advertising companies have played to our fear of illness in making germs the villains rather than the chemicals used to kill them. In addition to omitting to let consumers know the potential harm lurking in the cleaning products, they also tend to avoid mentioning that some of the ingredients used are known carcinogenic compounds.

Until just after the First World War there were very few types of commercial or industrial insecticides, pesticides and cleaning compounds used, which means that it has only been the last few decades that our bodies have been exposed to these very dangerous synthetic chemicals. While the human body has amazing powers to protect itself, the toxicity of these synthetic compounds is more than the body can handle. The body has methods of treating naturally occurring chemicals and heavy metals as they have been around as long as we have, and the body has had time to adapt to them.

Synthetic chemicals mimic the metabolic functions of the body which poses a greater risk as the body then thinks that certain processes are happening, when they are not. Many combinations of the toxins interfere with the immune system and the body's ability to heal, resulting in higher frequencies of unexplained ill -health. In addition, these chemicals do not break down in the environment and linger in the soil and food chain for years. A good example of this is DDT, which was widely used in agricultural production to kill pests that were eating grain crops. While it did kill the pests it also poisoned all the other animals in the food chain, including humans. The impact and residual effects of the use of DDT is still noticeable in many areas, despite the fact its use as a pesticide has been banned for many years.

Toxins In The Cupboard

Various cleaning compounds and products have different combinations of the chemicals listed below. Many have several or most of these harmful ingredients and we do not know about their toxicity when mixed together, but suspect it can lead to significant health concerns. Most of these chemicals harm us when they come into contact with the skin or we inhale the fumes produced by these toxins. Children are much more likely to absorb harmful chemicals than adults and the results can be lifelong health issues for the child.

The most common household cleaning toxins include ammonia and chlorine. While they are routinely added to cleaning products, they are also known to cause significant health issues. Ammonia, typically found in glass cleaners, results in mild to severe headaches while chlorine tends to affect the respiratory system. Exposure to chlorine will result in coughing, pain in the lungs, wheezing, sore throats, eye irritation, rapid, shallow breathing and eventually lung collapse and blue colouring of the skin as oxygen is depleted in the blood. Sodium hypochlorite, when combined with ammonia, produces a toxic chloramine gas which produces respiratory problems and symptoms similar to asthma.

Formaldehyde similarly causes irritation to the eyes and respiratory system but it is also a suspected carcinogen and a very dangerous chemical. Formaldehyde is found in a great number of cleaning products, often in very dangerous combinations with other chemicals on this list.

The next two chemicals can cause serious health issues. Both can cause severe reactions that include vomiting, diarrhea and burns to the digestive system if the chemicals are swallowed or ingested. These two hazardous cleaning chemicals are hydrochloric acid and nitrobenzene. Hydrochloric acid is found in toilet and bathroom cleaners while nitrobenzene is common in furniture polishes and floor treatments. Nitrobenzene exposure is also linked to birth defects and some forms of cancers.

Silver and metal polishes tend to contain petroleum distillates, which are known to cause both short and long term health problems. Long term exposure leads to neurological problems while even a short term exposure affects vision and the eyes.

Phenol and cresol, often used as disinfectants, will cause dizziness and feelings of nausea.

This is only a partial list of the possible harmful chemicals you use on a regular basis in your home and office. Some of the other deadly ingredients to your cleaning supplies include nickel, chloroform, cyanide, mercury, methyl ethyl keytones, xylenes, dichloromethane, chromium, cadmium, benzene, tetrachloroethylene, trichloroethylene, methyl isobutyl ketyone, and toluene. Each of these either alone or in combination may cause respiratory, skin, metabolic and neurological conditions that you may not even realize are caused by the products you have been told are essential to keep your environment safe.

In addition to the short term impact of using these compounds and chemicals, there is also a cumulative aspect to their use. Toxic burden, which is the level of toxins stored in our body, is a real concern as the higher the level of these toxins the greater the health risk.

Making Better Choices

There are ways to make better choices with cleaning products and still have a sparkling, fresh smelling home. The traditional cleaning products used for centuries before the invention of these damaging chemicals are excellent, environmentally friendly options. Lemon juice and vinegar works well as a cleaner and also removes germs and odours. Fresh air and sunlight is also a great way to neutralize smells and avoid adding chemicals to the air that you breathe. Keep in mind that some germs and bacteria are essential to develop a normal immune system, which is particularly important when children are growing and developing.

Another important aspect to consider is adding to your daily health regime products that help your body process and remove the toxins that have accumulated. One product on the market that can do just that is Natural Cellular Defense Zeolite.

Stewart A. Lonky M.D., said "Because chemical and toxin exposures are impossible to avoid, and because the accumulation of these toxins definitely have health consequences, I believe that the use of a chelating and detoxifying agent such as activated liquid zeolite should be a part of every person's daily regimen. There is no better gift you can give yourself and your loved ones."

Natural Cellular Defense Zeolite removes heavy metals and toxins from your body safely and effectively.
It can also balance PH levels, bind to viral sub-particles, improve metabolic function and nutrient absorption, alleviate digestive complaints, boost the body's resistance to diseases, improve blood sugar regulation, and enhance immune functionality.

For further information about Activated Liquid Zeolite see details below.

Written by Caroline Nettle

Please retweet this article

Author's Bio: 

Caroline Nettle is passionate about helping others to improve their health. Toxin Free Today is an online resource for information and products to help you to enjoy life after toxins. Sign up for the newsletter and receive the latest information about how to detoxify your life.