There is nothing like an ice cold, glass of water, especially when one is hot and thirsty. Nothing can beat it when it comes to quenching one’s thirst! So, when it comes to water, how much does one need to drink every day? Well, this is important, since one’s body contains more water than anything else; about 60 percent of one’s total body weight.

Water helps to regulate body temperature, transport nutrients, and it helps to remove waste. Every day, we lose water when we breathe, sweat, urinate, and defecate. Our water constantly needs to be replenished. So, here’s the question again, “How much water does one need to drink every day?”

Well, as one might think, it’s a simple question, so answer it! Well, it’s not that easy! It depends on certain environmental and physical factors that can change every day. Did one know that about 20 percent of one’s water intake comes from the foods one eats? The remaining 80 percent comes from beverage, including water, coffee, tea, milk, and anything liquid.

The National Academy’s Institute of Medicine makes the following recommendations when it comes to adequate water intake:
• Men should have 10.5 cups from beverages
• Women should have 7 cups from beverages
• Pregnant Women should have 8 cups from beverages
• Breastfeeding Women should have 10.5 cups from beverages

So, how does one know if they’re drinking enough water? Most people determine their water intake by looking at the color of their urine. If one is getting enough water, one’s urine will be pale yellow, and one will urinate several times a day. However, urine color doesn’t work for everyone! If one is taking dietary supplements that contain riboflavin, then one’s urine color will be a bright yellow; and, of course, if one is taking certain medications, one’s urine will not be a pale yellow. Of course, if one has any kidney problems or other health issues, one should talk to one’s health care provider about how much water to drink.

A signal to let one know one needs water is “thirst,” one’s desire to drink something. It can be triggered by the loss of fluid volume in and around cells and in the blood. Therefore, feeling thirsty is our body’s way of letting us know we need water to avoid dehydration.
Thirst has a behavioral component as well and can be triggered by aromas and flavors, so just thinking about one’s favorite beverage can make one thirsty. It’s also important to note that older people often have problems with the thirst mechanism and may not feel thirsty even when they’re dehydrated and this is most unfortunate.

Being dehydrated is what causes skin to age and so it’s important for an older person to avoid getting dehydrated!
****I’ve just submitted a book of fiction (Kat must trust a stranger to help find her best friend),on and could sure use some readers. It’s FREE to read.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. The articles I write express my own personal views and doesn’t replace the advice given by a medical professional.

Author's Bio: 

Check out Kelley Curl's new FREE READ on