What's your clutter ratio? The Finnish Press recently reported a story about an art student who took an inventory of every object in her 2,500 sq. ft. home. She owned a total of 6,126 items. The most interesting part of the story was her breakdown of how often she used each object:

Objects never used - 1,457 or 24%

Objects used less frequently than once a year-2209 or 36%

Objects used once or twice a year- 1411 or 23%

Objects used every month- 587 or 9%

Objects used every week- 401 or 7%

Objects used EVERYDAY- 61 or only 1%

Now, take a close look at your home environment. What items do you rarely, if ever, bring out and use? If we roughly use only about 1% (or even 5%) of our belongings in our home, why are we hanging on to the other 95%? Why are we cluttering up our lives and our living space?

In Feng Shui, the first step is to clear all your clutter. That said, even I was amazed at the findings from The Finnish Press. We actually use the same few items over and over. Yet, we house way too many things in our life. Let the insanity stop now and let's start to clear up our lives by cleaning out our clutter.

First, start to de-clutter and clear out old, unused and broken items that no longer serve a purpose in your life. Donate, sell or simple throw them away. This will make your home look bigger and cleaner. It will also help raise your Chi' (life force energy) and that's what Feng Shui is all about.

By clearing out clutter, we are then ready to call into our life what we really desire. Try it today, it really works!

Author's Bio: 

Ellie Marshall has studied with the most respected masters in the art of Feng Shui. She blends her Feng Shui training along with her corporate background at Seventeen Magazine and American Express, which make her a truly unique, intuitive Feng Shui Practitioner. Her area of expertise is working with and teaching large corporations, such as PepsiCo, Crain's Investment News & Houlihan Lawerence. She does on site residential and commercial consultations all over the world. She lives in Westchester County,NY and has a strong client base in New York City, Westchester and Fairfield County. During her 1982 visit to China, she was honored by receiving a private tour of the Forbidden City & a rare, old Feng Shui book from a Feng Shui Grandmaster. Her love of this ancient art was then kindled.