Do you present and speak in public with confidence and project credibility? The way a professional delivers a message has a dramatic affect on the outcome. Discover the top secrets for maximum impact.

If you project authentic confidence, it comes through in all ways. Your attitude, demeanor, body language, style and tone all reflect your internal state. Your inner alignment shines forth and is immediately obvious to all who are listening. This comes through in any media: in face-to-face settings, virtual communications, and video.

If you are projecting authority, but not really feeling it inside, this comes through as well. Participants in your audience will recognize that there is something missing. It may not be obvious instantly. But even a highly polished presence does not always carry the full conviction and authority that you desire.

According to academic research, a full 93% of what audiences perceive as confidence depends on body language and vocal quality. Imagine. That only leaves 7% of your impression relying on the content of your presentation.

By the way, this drives some people really nuts. In one training class, some people stormed out of the room, they were so perturbed by these statistics. They just couldn’t let in that the verbal content of their talk was not ‘all they needed’ to show their research.

However, since you’re reading still reading this and haven’t left the room, my hunch is you’re ready to accept the facts. This does not in any way diminish the importance of those 7%. You still need to verify facts, polish words, and carefully build your message.

Yet, we all have limited time. When preparing for a presentation, wouldn’t it make sense to balance preparation time in parallel with the outcomes? If 93% of your message depends on body language and vocal quality, it stands to reason that preparation, practice and performance should be similarly weighted.

You and I know that’s not the case. Nine times out of ten, professionals, subject matter experts, sales staff and senior executives do the opposite. We often invest 93% on the content. We obsess over punctuation and spelling. We get snagged on finding the perfect word. We worry and torment ourselves searching for dramatic flow of ideas.

The challenge is many of these habits are not new. If you are at a part of your career where you’ve been at this for some time, your habits for preparing for a presentation have been acquired over time. If you are just starting out, you have habits from school that also may reinforce a focus on content over delivery.

It can take years to cultivate poor presentation habits. The good new is—it can take just a few days and precise feedback to change them. Often, working one-on-one with a presentation coach is the best investment of time and energy for busy professionals. A presentation coach, especially one who works virtually, enables you to upgrade your presentation habits to be highly functional.

If just one of the people in your audience recognizes your vision, and is inspired, motivated and engaged, your investment has paid off in multiples.

Ready to grow your presentation skills for maximum impact? If you are in a position to communicate ideas, express business visions, and influence public opinions, this investment in your habits and skills will be paid back a hundred times over or more.

Author's Bio: 

Milly Sonneman is a recognized expert in visual language. She is the co-director of Presentation Storyboarding, a leading presentation training firm, and author of the popular guides: Beyond Words and Rainmaker Stories available on Amazon. Milly helps business professionals give winning presentations, through Email Marketing skills trainings at Presentation Storyboarding. You can find out more about our courses or contact Milly through our website at: